IDMAX not working right?

Participant count
  • Participant list

computerpro3
10+ year member

CT
A few weeks ago I installed an IDMAX 12 D2 V3 that I bought used on here. I didn't really get the chance to tune it until today.

It is in a sealed box of 16.5in x 16.5xin x 16in. Those are the exterior dimensions and the wood is 3/4in MDF.

I set my gains using 0db test tones with a multimeter. I'm running the idmax off of a Soundstream Pic 1.900D putting out 900w @ 1ohm.

Anyway, it sounds fine on the 50hz test tone. But when I actually play music, the subwoofer sounds very weak. Even with the fronts unplugged and playing one of the bass test songs like "Late Nite tip" or "Bass, I love you" the subwoofer seems very peaky and there is some mechanical noise (sounds like chattering) even at very low volumes.

First, around 50hz the subwoofer has decent power. But anything below that and it completely loses punch. For example, in Late Nite Tip when the bassline starts off it sounds powerful, but as it drops low it vanishes.

Second, I didn't buy this subwoofer to be one of the boom boom kids, but I need it to keep up with my focal's. I feel that my front stage (focal 165K2P off of a bridged Zapco Reference 360.4) overpowers the subwoofer. I look at all these videos of a single IDMAX 12 flexing windows and shaking rearview mirrors, but my sub simply doesn't even come close that. In fact, outside of the car my focal's can be heard much more loudly than the bass - and they are dynamatted to hell!

The mechanical noise has me worried. The sub moves with plenty of excursion, but the noise can CLEARLY be heard even at low volumes when I go around to the trunk.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?

EDIT:

No bass boost, all EQ is flat.

I have it crossed at 80hz (well, as close to 80hz as I can guesstimate - the crossover knob blows on my amp), subsonic filter is set to 15hz (lowest option on the amp).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.