Icons Power Hungry?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Workin for DBs
10+ year member

So i just hooked up my ssa icon 15 inch sub and it does sound very clean, deep, and low however I feel like it's missing some output. Don't get me wrong it's loud and sounds very good being loud but I feel like it could and should be more. I'm running it on a sax 1200d amp at one ohm...so about 1200 watts rms assuming I'm getting the best from my electrical and my amp. The box is 4 cubes tuned to 30 hz...

My car's electrical is all stock so is that maybe contributing to the lack of output or is this sub just power hungry and need a bigger amp?

ya,you arent getting close to 1200rms out of that amp with stock electrical...maybe half..to 3/4 if that,,you need power to make power...simple as that..get the big three done, and add a second batt,see if that helps,if not,time for the ho alt

I second what audiobaun said. I don't know if you'll be missing out on 1/2 your output, but you aren't getting 100% from the amplifier. Beef up your electrical (Big 3, optional better battery) and keep your voltage up. The build quality of the box could also play a big role in that, and sometimes it's just the car. All subs perform differently in different vehicles.

What car? How much port area?

Sure you have the VC configuration correct?

What size fact alt?

Have you done the big 3?

Do you have a dmm to measure voltage at the terminals?

Okay well in a couple of weeks I'll try doing the Big 3 upgrade... and I've heard that the alternator is more important to change than the battery...

It's in a 2002 explorer v8, and I think the alternator is 130A but not too sure. I do have a dmm...

The box I built from the specs of the design off ssa's website for optimal ported which is 4 cubes after displacement I believe tuned to 30 hz. The port is 3.5 inches wide and I think like 26 inches long or something...my dad and I built the box built the box pretty **** well I must say, really the only problem is that I cut the whole for the sub in the center and it was supposed to be 2 inches off center but I doubt thats affecting much

I always do Alt. upgrade before I do batts but a 130 should suffice on that power. Do the big 3 and see how much that helps. are you getting headlight/interior light dimming at night when the bass be slammin? lol

Naw I'm not getting any electrical dimming haha but I'll do the big 3 in a couple of weeks...if my alternator seems big enough for my system would i need another battery?

Not knowing ur voltage is just asking for trouble..... Spend the 15 bucks on a Stinger meter and monitor from ur dash. But yes a batt would help stabilize ur voltage and running the power you are should be more then enough to help maintain a decent voltage..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.