iasca logo

Participant count
  • Participant list
is there any significance to a company displaying this logo on their product? do they have to meet some requirements like with a CEA logo? or is it just to fill space?
Yeah there is a siginificance...it means the company paid IASCA to use it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah there is a siginificance...it means the company paid IASCA to use it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Best way to put it. A few used USACi and DB Drag for a while as well....most companies no longer worry about it.

just kinda wish there was some kind of standard test that companies would do so all of these ratings would actually mean something. instead of being just a ballpark figure.

CEA was started on a good premis... and could have been a good standard, but the fact that the standard testing voltage is 14.4, and there is no real quality assurance with the standard, makes it pretty much useless... for the most part

Yep, USACi was a large part of trying to get the CEA testing in place and at first it seemed as if it would literally change the industry, which it would have if it would have worked. As we all know, that like many things.. it failed..and did so very quickly.

noted is there any type of independent website that just tests and rates car audio using a standard test for every piece of equipment?
not really any specific company, or website... but there are those enthusiasts out there who do "real world" tests on a whole variety of amps... a proper clamp test is what you really should look for... and what i mean by that, is one that takes box rise, voltage drop, frequency, and electrical backing into consideration... basiclly comparing seperate amps, with as many of the variables taken out of the mix as possible

Rating an amplifier at 14.4 isn't really a problem, if they were all rated at 14.4. Box rise should not need to be considered, since the amp can be tested without needing to use a speaker in a box. Voltage drop shouldnt need to be considered either, since the test setup should not experience it.

i think it would just need to be the same exact set up to test every amp why use a speaker and not just a resistor for test purposes. it would be more consistent.

Rating an amplifier at 14.4 isn't really a problem, if they were all rated at 14.4. Box rise should not need to be considered, since the amp can be tested without needing to use a speaker in a box. Voltage drop shouldnt need to be considered either, since the test setup should not experience it.
i'm not talking about bench testing, tho... and not because its not the better way to clamp it, cuz it is... but more just because the majority of clamp tests you'll see out there, are guys who are clamping amps in their cars, on their daily systems... and not a dummy load.

point being, if the OP is going to do research on different amps, and use other people's clamp results for comparitive reasons, then he needs to ensure that the variables of said tests are as controlled as possible... i.e. one amp getting tested in a car with rise and voltage drop taking affect, and another amp being bench tested with a dummy load.

if you can find one guy who is doing proper bench clamps on many different amps, that would be for the best... but, i have yet to find anyone doing that as of right now... which is why i say to make sure all the variables are controlled when comparing amps, or just to realize that they do have an effect on the results

i'm not talking about bench testing, tho... and not because its not the better way to clamp it, cuz it is... but more just because the majority of clamp tests you'll see out there, are guys who are clamping amps in their cars, on their daily systems... and not a dummy load.
point being, if the OP is going to do research on different amps, and use other people's clamp results for comparitive reasons, then he needs to ensure that the variables of said tests are as controlled as possible... i.e. one amp getting tested in a car with rise and voltage drop taking affect, and another amp being bench tested with a dummy load.

if you can find one guy who is doing proper bench clamps on many different amps, that would be for the best... but, i have yet to find anyone doing that as of right now... which is why i say to make sure all the variables are controlled when comparing amps, or just to realize that they do have an effect on the results
My comments were about the CEA rating, which is not conducted by consumers, on their work bench or in their car. Any standardized rating system should be conducted by the manufacturers (under strict guidelines), or an independent third-party testing organization. Such tests would be using a power supply sufficient to handle the amplifier being tested without voltage drop (otherwise whats the point), and would use either a static load, or a free-air woofer with standardized test recordings (probably just a tone at a certain freq).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.