I want to upgrade my bass trunk for Christmas!

Participant count
  • Participants list

Annihilated

CarAudio.com Newbie
Raleigh
So here's the deal. I have a three year old Hifonics brx-2416-1d amp (roughly 1000w rms at 2ohm) and two six year old diamond d312d2.2's (400w rms) in a sealed box .75 cu ft each.
they're starved for air so i added insulation years ago, it helped a bit. This year id like to finally upgrade the trunk except for the amp. I wanted to get two new subs and a new box, but recently someone told me to build a new PORTED box for the Diamonds and that would be enough of an improvement for me to be happy. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. The max budget will be about $500 if I'm getting new woofers and i have someone who will make the box for free. Oh Im also in the trunk of an accord so the height of any box is restricted to 19"

Other facts, one of the diamonds in the sealed box makes an intense clapping or rattling sound but only when its at max volume and clearly distorting. It sounds perfect when its not being played at max volume, but the other sub doesn't do it, so one may be slightly damaged but only at the extreme top end. it could just be bottoming out, but jeez it's bottomed out for four years now and still plays strong daily. The subs are about 6 years old. I listen to primarily electronic music with a sweeping range of heavy bass frequencies.

I posted in your thread about WinIsd but I'll say it again....you are likely over driving subs due to an incorrectly set amp. Or the subs are damaged. Take the subs out of the box and measure the dc resistance of each voice coil. While you are at it, play each sub free air (outside of box sitting on a sturdy surface) at moderate volume and listen for abnormal sounds. Post your results on here after completing both of those tests.

Get two of these wired to one ohm on your amp. You will be happy.
Screenshot_20191030-124708_Samsung Internet.jpg

ditto with what thatpurplekush said and do the box before anything else. Swapping subs out like underwear will not get you anywhere in life. Not just car audio... life because you'll be wasting precious money that you can spend on LIFE getting absolutely nowhere with useless sub swaps while the answer has always been the enclosure design.

One of those XFL's wired one ohm will be an upgrade, and, two would be even better. As long as he has the air space for them, get two. Plus, he already has a free box lined up. He said he wanted an upgrade, and, this would be an upgrade. I understand trying the box first. As long as the subs are still in good shape. However, if the box doesn't help, then you will then have to get another new box and subs.

Last edited:
Good call on removing the sub that's making noise to find out if its a mechanical problem or if it's box related ill do that tonight. I'll also check the resistance, am i looking for it to be different than 2ohms for damage to have been done?

As far as a new box i am set on getting a new one custom built, but isnt each box pretty specific to each woofer set up? Lets say i get a dual 12 ported box made for these diamonds and then later on id like to get even more powerful set of 12's like the american bass sub refrenced above, this will render the new ported box useless eh? or can a simple port retune make it applicable?

ditto with what thatpurplekush said and do the box before anything else. Swapping subs out like underwear will not get you anywhere in life. Not just car audio... life because you'll be wasting precious money that you can spend on LIFE getting absolutely nowhere with useless sub swaps while the answer has always been the enclosure design.
I just don't want to build a new box for the diamonds, realize its not a big enough upgrade and then build a 2nd box and still buy two new woofers. i was never going to put more powerful woofers in an already too small of a box.

Get two of these wired to one ohm on your amp. You will be happy. View attachment 18792
Totally separate discussion now but i was always told the extra cone area from having two subwoofers was in most cases better than having one more powerful woofer. Am i wrong to assume that? i know its all based on paramters and the amount of air it can move, but this is why i was trying to learn about winisd lately and subwoofer design in general.
If upgrading to a single more powerful woofer is truly going to be more powerful and move more air than my current 12's thats so much easier.

D3's are very capable woofers. I have seen them in setups doing mid 140s. 2 D3s would destroy a single XFL.

A single XFL is a downgrade over the D3s.

You need cone area if you want to move air. 2 lower powered decent subs will almost always be louder than a single higher powered sub of the same size.

One of those XFL's wired one ohm will be an upgrade, and, two would be even better. As long as he has the air space for them, get two. Plus, he already has a free box lined up. He said he wanted an upgrade, and, this would be an upgrade. I understand trying the box first. As long as the subs are still in good shape. However, if the box doesn't help, then you will then have to get another new box and subs.

Let me get this straight....you're telling someone to spend between $200-400 on new subs that require a ported box...... only to bottleneck them in the same sealed box that has already proved to be a failure. And then if that doesn't work then to get ANOTHER box and subs.

Instead of spending $50 for some wood and glue in the first place and putting his current subs in the correct box in the first place.

Hard no. SMH

D3's are very capable woofers. I have seen them in setups doing mid 140s. 2 D3s would destroy a single XFL.

A single XFL is a downgrade over the D3s.

You need cone area if you want to move air. 2 lower powered decent subs will almost always be louder than a single higher powered sub of the same size.
That's what i was always told.
So then my last question would be, can I build/design a ported box that would excel with the D3's as well as a set of more powerful woofers in the future? Or is this not really achievable...

Let me get this straight....you're telling someone to spend between $200-400 on new subs that require a ported box...... only to bottleneck them in the same sealed box that has already proved to be a failure. And then if that doesn't work then to get ANOTHER box and subs.

Instead of spending $50 for some wood and glue in the first place and putting his current subs in the correct box in the first place.

Hard no. SMH

Not what I said. Get one or two of the XFL's, as space permits, and wire them/it to one ohm in the new ported box. One sub and box should cost about $225. Two subs and box would cost about $400. Remember, those subs are six years old as well. Try a new box first, by all means, save the money if possible. If that doesn't work, try the XFL's. That amp should be fine at one ohm. One XFL1222 or Two XFL1244. Sounds like one is about all that will comfortably fit. Not looking to get ridiculed because I suggested possible options. ✌

I posted in your thread about WinIsd but I'll say it again....you are likely over driving subs due to an incorrectly set amp. Or the subs are damaged. Take the subs out of the box and measure the dc resistance of each voice coil. While you are at it, play each sub free air (outside of box sitting on a sturdy surface) at moderate volume and listen for abnormal sounds. Post your results on here after completing both of those tests.

Okay so sorry I’m super late. My girlfriend had to use for my car for a bit. So upon removing both subwoofers the one that make a clapping sound at high volumes has a SEVERELY torn spider. It’s torn in three freaking places I don’t know how it’s been playing like that for at least a year. A testament to diamond audio if anything lol.

so now I’m left with a single working d3d2 I wired up at 4ohms for now.

time for Christmas. I think I settled on an American Bass XR as I like the sq > spl nature of them compared to the XFL.

as this is my first box and project I think I’m going to just get one for now and build a ported box. According to most programs and opinions a single XR is gonna blow away a now single d3. Im having issues understanding why the manufacturers recommend such peaky boxes on the graph if I’m supposed to be aiming for a flat response though. That’s a different post though.

cant think of anything else to add, thanks a lot for the help/motivation to take the subs out and see what’s happening!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.