I wanna get LOUD, help me pick a setup

papito
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
FL
I'm looking at getting another setup, my W7 12" isn't loud enough for me lol

My budget is about $1000 just on bass, I already have a head unit and some good mids and highs.

The problem is, is that to run over 1k rms in my car, I'm going to need like over $400 for a HO alt, leaving just $600 for equipment. I was thinking with that $600 left over buying a used AQ 2200 for like $275, a used DC XL 15" for $250, $75 for wiring, and just take out the old wiring and use that money for a box.

Or, will I get louder with $1000 for equipment alone if I keep the stock alt, and just use a yellow top and big 3. And run something like the following setup.

-HC800 or another small battery for trunk ($200)

-Kicker 1500 ($300)

and maybe 2 12" L7 for $500 on ebay, or something else? idk

Bottom line is, I want to get loud (at least 145 db) for

I actually like that setup, I have a spare box laying around for 2 12" tuned to 32 Hz.

Won't I need a HO alt to run that amp? Would I be better off running them off a Kicker ZX1500.1 since it does close to 2k at 2 ohms rather than 1?

And would the 2 Q's be as loud as 2 BL's? How many dbs would I be hitting?

First of all without doing some serious work to your box you automatically lose 4-6db for having a trunk. I'd say a 2KW ish amp would be fine with an additional battery (I like that more than just HO alternator).

IF you allready have a 1500W amp you can probably do OK with that, but the AQ 2200 will probably gain you 1 and change DB over the Kicker (nearly a 50% increase of output and those Zenon amps like dropping to low impedences much better than Kicker). Look for subs like the DD 25 series or the RE SX that get very loud off of

Really I think either plan will get you to the same place if you put some thought and work into it. Personally I'd plan ahead and if you see yourself upgrading something later, go with a direction that makes future upgrades easier.

Definitely get a beefy battery and dump your money/time/resources into a solid box. Then you'll be getting the max out of the gear you have and as you upgrade more later you don't have to worry about re-doing that too.

I already have a super solid box for 1 12" that fits perfect in the trunk, it's 2.5 cubic tuned at 38 Hz. I was thinking of putting a BTL 12" in there, or a BL 12" fully loaded in there.

What's better:

2 12" Fi Q on 1500wrms in a 3 cubic box tuned to 32 Hz

1 15" Fi BL or DC XL fully loaded on 1500wrms, box unknown

1 12" BTL on 2200 wrms in a 2.5 cubic box tuned to 38 Hz

Which one will get loudest, and will my electrical be ok for 2200@1 ohm? If I get a big 100ah battery for the trunk, will my alt be able to charge both batterys? This is a daily setup, not burp or anything for competition.

^^^ I agree with pretty much everything said above. Except I don't think AQ amps are Zenon made, Chinese I believe.

You could also try to flip your box around and seal it off from the trunk.

I already have a super solid box for 1 12" that fits perfect in the trunk, it's 2.5 cubic tuned at 38 Hz. I was thinking of putting a BTL 12" in there, or a BL 12" fully loaded in there.

What's better:

Which one will get loudest, and will my electrical be ok for 2200@1 ohm? If I get a big 100ah battery for the trunk, will my alt be able to charge both batterys? This is a daily setup, not burp or anything for competition.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/459819-thors-2010-dc-stetsom-build-log-8.html

^^^ Long thread but his trunk is stupid loud. This is how you build a trunk to get loud.

Pair of Q's at 1500W is promising but IDK if 3 cube is adequate for those subs particularly at that low tuning. Also 145 will almost certainly NOT happen out of a trunk with that tuning and that power.

I have a nasty 15 off a solid 2KW amp in my jeep currently and I'm doing mid 145's tuned @ 45hz (port almost completely unloads at 35hz). Same box tuned to 53hz I get 146.7 out of. Google "hoffman's iron law". If you ever want to see 145 you will need to tune at 40hz at the lowest.... The sub could do more in a bigger box (limited by local org rules) and I suspect it has a lower fs..... still point is tuning lower will make your number on a meter plummet.

anyone else wanna help out?

I've decided to go with a Kicker ZX1500.1 or any other amp that does 1500@2 ohms.

Now which sub/subs should I get? 1 15" BTL? Or a DC Level 4 XL? Maybe 2 12" of some sort? idk

What's better:

i have a big 100Ah batt for you, deka intimidator 130 shipped

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.