I think my alt died, help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Buffalohed
10+ year member

Music Snob Extraordinare
Austin
So I was driving home, literally about 30 seconds from home and my power brakes and power steering goes out, then I think my engine cut out, at least the accelerator wasn't working. So I coast to the side and turn off the car. I tried to start it and it was just turning over, the oil light is coming on but that happens when I start anyway.

I opened it up and couldn't see anything wrong. All batt and big 3 connections are fine. The alternator looked ok too, and there was no smoke or unusual smell. It's an Iraggi and only a couple months old.

Is it the alt or is it something else?

Thanks dudes.

So I was driving home, literally about 30 seconds from home and my power brakes and power steering goes out, then I think my engine cut out, at least the accelerator wasn't working. So I coast to the side and turn off the car. I tried to start it and it was just turning over, the oil light is coming on but that happens when I start anyway.
I opened it up and couldn't see anything wrong. All batt and big 3 connections are fine. The alternator looked ok too, and there was no smoke or unusual smell. It's an Iraggi and only a couple months old.

Is it the alt or is it something else?

Thanks dudes.
check the regulator?

I have no idea how to do that, don't even know where that is. Would I be able to tell if it has gone bad with a simple inspection?

you might have to take the alt out to check it...but im really not that sure, i havent run into anything like that, can you possibly get your car to autozone to have it checked?

I could have it towed, I'm a AAA member. Would rather not do that unless absolutely necessary. Autozone can't actually fix anything if it is messed up, right?

I still have my old alt lying around by the way.

I could have it towed, I'm a AAA member. Would rather not do that unless absolutely necessary. Autozone can't actually fix anything if it is messed up, right?
I still have my old alt lying around by the way.
id put your old alt in and see what happens, then have someone look at the iraggi

Check your battery posts. My car did the same and it turns out the negative battery post was loose and would move and car would shut off randomly.
The car turns on but doesn't start, and the stereo plays and ****, lights work, etc. So I don't think it's the battery post //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Doubt it's your alt. If it was, your car would still run and start until your battery died. You've got an engine problem me thinks. Could be your fuel pump, your timing belt or many other things, but I really doubt it's your alt. If it is your timing belt (which wouldn't surprise me) you can mess your engine up royally by trying to run it. Get it towed home and have someone who knows about car engines take a look, than, if necessary go to a mechanic (and they like to rip people off).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.