I only want a single 10-inch Alpine Type R Sub - Will this Alpine MRV-500 be enough?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ludeconduct

Guys,

Am I being an idiot, but is there any reason to get a 4-ohm sub over a 2-ohm if I'm only going to get a single 10-inch sub?

If I get the Type R 10-inch 2-ohm that can handle 1000 watts RMS, I could get a MRV-M500 amp and send 500 watts RMS to it. Will that be enough to sound good?

The old alpine Type Rs took much less power, not sure why they were bumped up to double the rating...means I need to spend a ton more on amp...

Any advice?

Thanks.

So if I'm dead set on only a single sub, the 2-ohm is a no brainer right? I can get more power out of a mono amp at 2 ohms than 4 so it will be cost effective to get a 2-ohm sub?

4-ohm would be better if I wanted to upgrade later?

Just to be clear, with the mrv-m500 you'd want the 4 ohm Type R.

If you got the 2 ohm sub you'd have to wire it for 4 ohms and you'd be limited to 300w. Not that 300 wouldn't work, but why not use 500 if it's already there?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.