I need some help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Chistyle
10+ year member

I have 3-jl audio wo to a 500/1 amp. I had this setup in my old car and had no problems at all. I just installed yesterday and it sounded fine, however on my way to work. I blew a fuse. I had the sounds for over 3 years in the old car and NEVER blew a fuse once and put it louder then i had it today all the time. THe only thing i did different this time was that i have a distrubition block now instead of a fuse going to the battery terminal. If i had a fuse to the power wire at the terminal will this fix the problem???

Inspect the whole length of the power wire to see if its shorting out anywhere on the cars chassis, just one stray strand of wire will cause a short.

The only fuse is at the 2 distr. blocks. I do not have one on the power wire at the battery terminal. I figured out the problem was the size of the fuse. i only had a 30 amp. I put a 60 and now it is much better

You NEED to put a fuse on the power wire at the battery terminal. If you don't have one, and your wire gets shorted between the battery and the distribution block, Very Bad Things will happen.

fusing right after the battery terminal, is really there to protect the wir. Different gauge wires hold specific ranges of amps. Thats why for fatter wire you could fuse for a bigger amperage. I'm not sure I'm a newbie. But don't get me wrong I've been reading and learning for a few months now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ;Oh yeah, if you don't fuse your wire could catch fire.

If it gets shorted between the two would it not just blow the fuse on the dis block???
Of course not. Suppose it gets shorted at the firewall. Immediately you have a current flow path from the positive terminal, into the chassis metal at the firewall, then back to the negative terminal through the chassis ground connection. No current flows through the d-block, which means no current flows through the fuses, which means your fuse doesn't blow. And even if it did blow, it's not between the battery terminal and the firewall, so it wouldn't stop the current flowing there. The current will continue to flow until some part of the circuit breaks. That means a wire has to melt, and melting wire in your engine compartment (or vehicle interior) doesn't go alone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.