I need saving!

joshs98runner
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Before I joined this forum I had it in my mind I was going to buy some JL audio XR650's off ebay and that was gonna be sweet, or some boston SL60's. I Tend to trust professional/experienced opinions, but at this point I am out of resources. Everyone here hypes up Rainbow and CDT, which I have never heard of before I joined this forum and I don't think I have any local dealers. In general I am shopping for a sweet set of comps/coaxials for my 4runner, and at this point of all these new brands I have been researching, it's driving me crazy, I have heard JL/Boston/Focal in person but never CDT/AA/Rainbow etc. My biggest problem is I can't find any Rainbows off ebay at all and can't afford them new. I am about to buy some Rainbow SL130's for a great price and honestly I am having second thoughts. Even though everyone here hyp's up the rainbow product I am having doughts as to how good their base models really are and I am way too torn between decisions. I want to spend my money on the best products I can and only have so much money to spend, right now I can afford to buy the SL130's because they are a good deal, but the ****ed SLC265's are almost $300, and that puts a huge dent in my budget.

Are the SL series Rainbow's really any better or even as good as the XR model JL's, because I can buy JL's XR650-csi off ebay for like $200 shipped, new in boxes with no warrranty, where as the Rainbow's are around $300 and I don't know if thy really would be any better??????

One more thing to drive me nuts is I am bidding on a set of Focal Components off ebay, if I get them I'm sure they'll sound great in the front, but that leads me to finding a new/used set of focals for the rear, good deals **** when they only come in two and you need 4 lol. Will it sound that bad if I were to use Rainbows for the rear fill and something else for the front comp's???????? I have never been a fan of brand mis-matching but I might if the deals are good enough.

To top off my insanity I am selling an MTX5302 amp on ebay which reserve wasn't met yet, it ends tomorrow. Reading peoples recommendations it sounds like I would be best off keeping my MTX 2 channel and hooking it up to the front 2 compontents and using deck power on the rears. One question I had regaurding that is whether or not you can get 30WRMS to two speakers off the deck by using all 4 channels bridged to two.......

I am now having a car stereo brain meltdown, I've been reading sh*t for the past week straight it seems like and I am now only more frustrated.

If anyone can answer most/all of those questions that would be extremely helpful, my needs/wants are great SQ speakers, no I won't compete, I just enjoy good clarity and enjoyable tunes and don't feel the generic pioneers/fosgate/mtx stuff will fit the bill.

I can't help you much with your decision. The only brand listed I have experience with is JL but not the XRs

What sounds good to someone else may not be as much to your liking. If you can't audition them before you buy, my suggestion is to pick the one that fits your budget and make sure you spend the time on the install and do it right. All of the brands you list have a reputation for making quality products.

Running a good set of components up front with a well matched amp, you may find that upgrading the rear fill is not necessary. Some will add some aftermarket coaxials or leave the stock rear speakers on the head unit. Some will disconnect the rear speakers altogether. Opinions vary on this but consider upgrading the front stage and listen for a while and see if you like it.

I am not aware of any head unit that allows you to bridge the internal amp.

For an amplifier, your best bet is to select what speakers you plan to install and then select an amp to match them. If you are happy with the MTX and it is a good match to the speakers you pick, I'd keep it and use it.

I try not to get too caught up in brand names. You may find that many of the more mainstream companies make some pretty nice stuff. You don't necessarily have to run the most exotic or rare equipment to get a great system.

I guess that helps. I ordered a set of the rainbow 5.25 Sound Line's off Flakko, they are coaxials for my rear fill. That seems to be the route I am going to take. I decided to save a little money and install my Pioneer HU, use my 75x2W RMS amp on the front stage, and buy some 6.5 Sound Line Components off 6spdcoupe when I get a little more money available, some sound deadener is also in order for the doors and if I get enough I'll do the front kicks/rear doors. Later down the road I might be feeling a 8W7 and learn to do a little glass work for a neat carpeted encloser.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.