I need help selecting box plans!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Puppet Master
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Fargo, ND
I just got this package: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5491.html

I know it is nothing special, but I am planning for college and I am on a tight budget so......Anyway, I am looking to get rid of that sealed box and make a ported one myself, except I have no design, and I would be making a box for the first time, so I have no idea what I SHOULD build. I would appreciate any suggestion on what I should build, maybe even one of those box plans from this site?

this is what MA's site says...

Optimum Vented Box: 2.25 Cu/Ft

Round Port Diameter: 5” X 11.25”

Square Port Area: 3” X 6.5” X 12”

Tuned at 40Hz

Thanx pat. But can anyone find a specific box plan for this? If I select it myself, I probably won't get it right, and I want my cheap **** to sound good. Thanx

thanx trigger, I'll take your word for it. I don't really know the meaning of all this 40Hz, and port area. All I know is I can make it if I have the plans.

here is a dumb question for ya? Should I use any kind of wood, or is there any kind you recommend? Also, should I use caulk or wood glue to seal the cracks?

Use 3/4" MDF. Use wood glue and screws to connect each piece. Screws every 2-3" is ideal. And use silicone along the edges after putting it together. Just to ensure you have a 100% airtight seal.

Is there a specific way I can test how airtight it is?
You honestly shouldn't have to. If you seal it good you should have no worries.

If you have a compressor, go around all the edges and feel for leaks. Even a vacuum on reverse would work. Put a bright flashlight in it and turn off the lights. Use your imagination, plenty of ways to do it.

pretty sure all u do is find the volume u need and look for that on moe lester's plans seeing which dimensions will fit your trunk. the Hz means how much its tuned to, the lower the tune the lower notes you'll be able to hit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.