I need a gun to spray adhesive

ScreeminChikin
10+ year member

I use Dap Weldwood contact cement for all my vinyl work and generally brush it on which is a pain for large areas. I have sprayed it out of one of my old paint guns but it clogs up pretty easially. I need a suggestion on a cheap gun that has a big enough spray orafice to shoot the thick adhesive. Also where to get one.

I doubt you're gonna be able to find one that can handle contact cement. Contact cement is made to be spread around anyways, not simply sprayed on. Id look around for a strong spray adhesive if I were you. There are plenty out there, i know 3M makes a very strong one, but I don't remember the name. Look around and you should be able to find one. good luck

Ive used about every type of spray adhesive out there and have yet to find one that holds up well to heat. I have had good luck with it for box carpet, but it doesn't work well for vinyl, even the 3M which is about the best I have found. Automotive upolstry shops use the weldwood and generally spray it, but everybody I have talked to at those places use very expensive rigs designed specifically for that purpose.

Well if contact cement is the only one that works, you're gonna have to apply it manually. Although I highly doubt it, there may be a spray bottle out there that can actually hold up to contact cement, but rest assured it would be pretty pricey. It's like molasses, spreading it on is the best way to go.

Good luck

let's see here. What I use is an el cheapo from harbor freight with what I believe is a 2.5 mm tip. It's the same thing I use for spray on damping. I'll check to make sure the size of the tip when I get home tonight. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yes sir. That's all I use Dap Weldwood The flammable kind in the red can. Don't bother with the crap in the green can ( the non- flammable version). It ***** in comparison. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thats the same stuff I use, the spray grade. I have tried spraying it through one of my old guns and it works but cloggs real easy. I checked harbor freight and the have some nice cheap guns but all the tips are less than .5mm. It looks like a couple of their $25.00 guns have extra tip kit that you can buy for under $20, but the largest I saw was like 2.0mm. I may have to go that route and see how it works. Does the 2.5mm tip give you a nice pattern or does it just splatter everywhere?

Originally posted by ScreeminChikin Thats the same stuff I use, the spray grade. I have tried spraying it through one of my old guns and it works but cloggs real easy. I checked harbor freight and the have some nice cheap guns but all the tips are less than .5mm. It looks like a couple of their $25.00 guns have extra tip kit that you can buy for under $20, but the largest I saw was like 2.0mm. I may have to go that route and see how it works. Does the 2.5mm tip give you a nice pattern or does it just splatter everywhere?
You have to cut back on the pressure some. Otherwise it can get pretty messy. But back the pressure down 5-10lbs or so depending upon the compressor. And you will be a Contact cement spraying fool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I bought the tip seperate. Lucky me, there is a harbor freight store like 5 minutes from my house //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Looks like the closest one is about 1/2 hour from me. I might jump out there this weekend and check em out. Looks like they have some decent deals on plunge routers too that might be worth looking into. Thanks for the help.

I posted a message about this on the spray paint forum I frequent. Most of the guys there do resto work and whatnot so maybe they'll know. I'll post any responses I see tomorrow (Sat).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.