I need a cheap system for my dad's car from Best Buy/Circuit City!

ls1pimp
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NJM
First, i know best buy and circuit city are garbage compared to ordering online, but my dad is driving to Florida in a week (20 hour drive) and he wants to get a nicer radio for the drive. We have 1 week to buy the stuff and have it installed, so we CANNOT order anything online.

This isn't a performance system, he just wants an ipod ready head unit (miniplug auxillary on the front of it) and a set of 6x9's for the front, 6.5's for the back. We are trying to keep it under 500 for everything including installation. Repeat, just a head unit and 2 sets of speakers, and has to be from circuit city/best buy because those are the only places that can squeeze in an installation in the next week. It really only has to be able to get loud without distortion, he doesn't need huge bass or anything, but he cranks it quite a bit and he doesn't want it distorting, just staying loud and clear.

So, any suggestions at all?

Pioneer deh-2900 or 3900 from either CC or BB

and CC has a special on Polk speakers right now, which are the best speakers CC has, 25% off according to the website

and then BB has Infinity speakers or Alpines

Go listen to which ones you like better

Pioneer deh-2900 or 3900 from either CC or BB
and CC has a special on Polk speakers right now, which are the best speakers CC has, 25% off according to the website

and then BB has Infinity speakers or Alpines

Go listen to which ones you like better
thanks man, that will help me out a lot! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

the Pioneer head units are good... they have one at best buy for 119 and has the front AUX in the front... it's pretty good i am gettin one for my truck!! but as for speakers go with.. the rockford fosgate or pioneer 6x9's 3-way.. and the 6.5s go with the Rockford fosgate 3-ways i have the rockford in my truck before i got my subs and they bump

the Pioneer head units are good... they have one at best buy for 119 and has the front AUX in the front... it's pretty good i am gettin one for my truck!! but as for speakers go with.. the rockford fosgate or pioneer 6x9's 3-way.. and the 6.5s go with the Rockford fosgate 3-ways i have the rockford in my truck before i got my subs and they bump
When head units say "AUX port" or "Aux input", is it a given that it is a miniplug input?

yeah on your Ipod or MP3 it has the headphone jack and thats basically what it is just plug in the wire from you Ipod or wutever and plug it into the head unit and go

cool. Also, i am assuming most installers at best buy/circuit city are competent enough to insall a head unit + speakers without messing it up?

hehe, you have 1700 posts and don't feel competent enough to install a head unit and 4 speakers?

They quoted my buddy $400 to install a head unit and 4 speakers! No amp or anything, just a HU switch and installing new cheapie speakers using the stock wiring.

I am a installer at a Best buy in NY an i have to say our Bay does not take any short cuts...there was 3 guys that screwed around in the bay and got fired right in front of the customers. we are a legit bunch of installers. we started doing some "custom work" with amp racks too.

very limited "custom work"

hehe, you have 1700 posts and don't feel competent enough to install a head unit and 4 speakers?
They quoted my buddy $400 to install a head unit and 4 speakers! No amp or anything, just a HU switch and installing new cheapie speakers using the stock wiring.
x2 i am a N00BX to the max and i installed 4 speakers! btw.. i'm 15 oh and pioneer ftw

I am a installer at a Best buy in NY an i have to say our Bay does not take any short cuts...there was 3 guys that screwed around in the bay and got fired right in front of the customers. we are a legit bunch of installers. we started doing some "custom work" with amp racks too.
very limited "custom work"
Shhhh.

We all know all installers at big stores are awful, and not people who actually like doing it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif Congrats on doing a good job and having management that handles its business well.

To the OP, a pioneer deck will be your best bang for the buck. Infinity's **** hard at mid bass, but may be better suited for high's if you had Rockford 6x9"s for the bass.

So, if going to BB, Infinity for front, or Alpine, whichever sound best, and rockfords for the rear fill, as they'll easily give the best bass response. If CC, Polk all around.

hey i am 15 too and i have installed my own head unit door speakers.. subwoofers, amp and even done a little custom work with 6'' speaker on the dash... so it doesn't matter what age you are... and doing it yourself is a lot cheaper too!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.