I might need a High Output Alternator. Any suggestions?

orphe
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Houston
Ok this is what I got so far…..

2007 Jeep grand Cherokee. (The stock alt is 160)

2 Memphis mojos (12 inch)

Hifonics 1600 watt rms amp

4 Infinity Reference component speakers (need an amp for those)

Will also add in 2 cameras, navigation/head unit, and upgrading to a 2000 rms amp by summer

Would like to get a new alt but not sure on the size/price/ brand ratio

Any suggestions?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif they dont have alts for jeeps

do they make 'em for chrystler/dodge? also, is it a hemi? there is really only a few different alternator forms, there's is just lots of different combinations of the same alternator, that is the different windings, regulator features, diode capacity, case clocking, etc, and even if you cannot find a direct bolt-on, you can find one that will drop right into your stock cases. i have yet to come across one that is "not avalible" where it could not be made compatable......

DC power - Customer Service #1

Mechman - Customer Service #2

Iraggi - Customer Service #3

All very good, the key here is the life span of the alt and the customer service level. All three brands make a super reliable beast of an alternator unlike little rewound ebay specials..Believe it's worth $450 for 200a @ idle that will last 2-3 years..

I'm super happy to hear someone finally talking about going HO alt before talking about all kinds of gibberish about multiple batteries...I ROFL so much on these forums when newbs talk about getting 2-3 31 series batteries before any mention of an alternator...

You will have good luck with DC power for sure, very good reviews and service.

i just ordered an alt from DC Power on monday. cost me 550 for a 230 amp from their XP line, xp is th newest line they have and its supposed to be pretty much the best h/o alternators. i was gong to go with powermaster, mechman or excessive amperage, but all the good talk about DC made me go with them. they are supposed to make some amazing alternators. i guess i will see when mine comes in, in a week or two..

as for customer service.. idk if people just repeat what everyone says about them having great customer service.. but iin my experience BULL ****!

ive been pissed off by them mulitple times. sometimes idk why i ordered off of them. in my experience, nat at excesive amperage has had the best customer service. he replies back to emails with a quickness and answers all questions and offers to help even more.

when ive tried contacting dc, ive had to email them multiple times. apart from multiple emails they lag days to reply, the average for me was about a week to reply to any email. horrible. when i call, they seem rude and un-professional.

heres how a call to them went when i called in to order an alt 3 weeks ago:

DC- "this is robbie how can i help you?"

me- "hey robbie, this is robert, i was emailing you about purchasing and putting in an order for an alternator for my lexus"

DC- "okkaay?

me- "yeah so i want to see if i can put in the order now"

DC- "yeah"

.... followed by awkward silence

me- (feeling awkward that he didnt proceed to start an order process) yeah i was emailing with you guys but the emails took long to reply and i havnt received a reply to my last one

DC- "yeaaah. well MAYBE, thats because we have been short on people and we havnt had enough time to reply and get back to everyone?!"

me- (thinking wow, pretty rude) okay well i want to place an order now then. i start asking questions and everything is smoothly here

DC- "okay well let me transfer you to stan who will take your order and payment i have to run.."

me- okay thanks robbie.

DC- "hello this is stan, lets place your order robert"

me- "okay"

DC- (he proceeds to take my main info.. name, address etc)

me- "okay, so how much will be charged to my card?"

stan- "ummm idk. how am i supposed to know. whatever you talked to robbie about"

me- (confused) okay?.. well just to make sure, which alternator and how many amps is being placed to be built for me

stan- "idk. whatever you talked to robbie about"

soo in conclusion.. lagging replies, and pretty rude reps arent the best customer service. hopefullly this alt will be as good as they are supposed to be and i wont hvae to deal with customer service fro them anymore or have to call them up, cus its honestly kind of awkward when you ask questions to them and they dont know what to answer or they reply with "whatever you spoke to the other guy about" that just makes them sound sooo sketchy and like they dont even know what they are talking about. for all i know is when i called to place my order they placed the wrong alternator and who knows at what amperage.

i didnt end up placeing my order that day til this monday and this time i made sure to get it straight. but they dont haave the best customer service

I just ordered an amp from Excessive Amperage. Emails were always answered within 1 day. Will let you know how it works when I get it in.

CAll Excessive Amperage. Nate is a good guy and works alone so your new alt will be built to spec and moight take a lil more time. but well worth it.

Mechman service was second too none for me Matthew was awesome. friendly and willing to help and listen to any concerns.

I could have bought from anyone but all the bad things that i heard about DC steered me well clear of them.

Customer service is ultra important IMO what happens if you have an issue and need some understanding and help to make it right???

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.