I just got Baby II switched over to FULL ACTIVE EQ!!

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
Missouri
Had some new front struts installed and they disconnected the battery so I lost the Alpine DSP's configuration, thus I had to take Her down to Custom Sounds for a reconfigure and I figured it was finally time to go ahead and switch her over!!

Now the pHd 5.25" dash spealers and their separate tweeters have 4 channels 75W per of ACTIVE EQ!!

And Baby II sounds SWEETER!!!

And you all told me it could never work! ROFL!!!

John Kuthe...

@Popwarhomie this thread is all your fault! His ears must have been burning a few days ago...
Hee hee!

No, I just had some mechanical work on my 2008 Grand Caravan done and the shop disconnected the battery, losing my DSP's config. So I figured I'd go ahead and "pull the trigger" as is said! Get the full on deal with the hardware I have!

Baby II's awesome audio system is now FINISHED! As is my awesome home audio system!

Attachments

• Full system view.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 288
arent all eqs active?

confused

Nope. Passive EQ crossovers have been very common for years with multiple driver speakers, like A capacitor to pass only high frequencies, and a choke or inductor to pass only freqs, or a network of both to achieve a certain crossover rolloff. But nothing active, like DSP or Digital Signal Processor. The beautiful thing about digital is it lets electrical engineers electrically achieve what was only dreamed of before with only passive components. I know because I AM an EE!

John Kuthe...

Had some new front struts installed and they disconnected the battery so I lost the Alpine DSP's configuration, thus I had to take Her down to Custom Sounds for a reconfigure and I figured it was finally time to go ahead and switch her over!!

Now the pHd 5.25" dash spealers and their separate tweeters have 4 channels 75W per of ACTIVE EQ!!

And Baby II sounds SWEETER!!!

And you all told me it could never work! ROFL!!!

John Kuthe...
Welcome back Kuthe! Happy to hear you switched to active. A few things I gotta point out tho... When you disconnect the battery, it doesn't automatically erase your configurations FYI. It deactives the DSP though, you just have to hook up a laptop and it would go back to the things were. I know because I have the same DSP as you. And when you switch from passive to active, you are only using a fraction of the power because of its efficiency. If you were actually using 75W active to each speaker, your speakers would be blown by now. The more headroom the better tho. It's not like your amps are running at max power, that's just asking for trouble.

Welcome back Kuthe! Happy to hear you switched to active. A few things I gotta point out tho... When you disconnect the battery, it doesn't automatically erase your configurations FYI. It deactives the DSP though, you just have to hook up a laptop and it would go back to the things were. I know because I have the same DSP as you. And when you switch from passive to active, you are only using a fraction of the power because of its efficiency. If you were actually using 75W active to each speaker, your speakers would be blown by now. The more headroom the better tho. It's not like your amps are running at max power, that's just asking for trouble.

Oh, I know quite a bit about amp headroom. I have a pair of Klipsch La Scalas in my Listening Room in my basement, and Ilm driving them with a McIntosh MC-2105 solid state amp measured at 110wpc, but I only put 1-5W into the La Scalas as they La Scalas are super sensitive.

And all I knew was after the shop disconnected the 12V car battery I lost all sound in my existing auto sound system, and Baby II was very SILENT! :-(

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
JohnKuthe
Missouri
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from