I have a snake in my car

Worth a try I suppose. How's your ground on the amp? Are all amps grounded to the same point? Might want to try grounding the amps/rear batteries to the front battery as well, by just running a wire outside of the car.
tried the above and nothing, still have hiss. the voltage under the hood and in the trunk are exactly the same.

Power/ground wires don't cause hiss through the speaker wires. RCA's are a different story, if they have bad/no shielding though.

If I were you I would wire a speaker directly to the harness on the back of the HU and check for hiss there (hence, taking the amp entirely out of the equation), and report back. Just one speaker and test all four speaker outs on the back of the HU.

If there is hiss with just the speaker directly to the back of the HU harness, then it is most likely the ground on the HU. Although it might be a "good" ground with low resistance, it is possible that the ECU of the vehicle is causing interference in the current path between the power source (alt/batt), and the HU, in which case sometime a direct ground to the battery can fix this instead of running through the frame.

Let us know when you get it figured out.

Power/ground wires don't cause hiss through the speaker wires. RCA's are a different story, if they have bad/no shielding though.

If I were you I would wire a speaker directly to the harness on the back of the HU and check for hiss there (hence, taking the amp entirely out of the equation), and report back. Just one speaker and test all four speaker outs on the back of the HU.

If there is hiss with just the speaker directly to the back of the HU harness, then it is most likely the ground on the HU. Although it might be a "good" ground with low resistance, it is possible that the ECU of the vehicle is causing interference in the current path between the power source (alt/batt), and the HU, in which case sometime a direct ground to the battery can fix this instead of running through the frame.

Let us know when you get it figured out.
okay, I hooked up a speaker directed to the HU speaker wires and no hiss. I have an Audiocontrol 6XS and it a a ground loop isolator, I switched it to all 3 different positions and have 2 different results. in position 1 it has a low alternator whine, in position 2 and 3 it has the constant hiss. I tried to see if the alternator whine was from the RCAs not having a good ground, so I grounded them and nothing.

I'm really getting pissed off with this, my last resort is to hook up a 1 or 2 farad cap to the power wire to see if that'll eliminate the hiss.

Really do want to thank everyone that's put up ideas for me, I really do appreciate the help.

Check your ground on the audio control. Make sure that its not grounded at the same spot as other amps. Ive heard that was an issue with the Coustic XM6's awhile back.

Check your ground on the audio control. Make sure that its not grounded at the same spot as other amps. Ive heard that was an issue with the Coustic XM6's awhile back.
ummm, i will have to try this. I have all the amps and the 6XS switched through a relay, I have one + distro going to all the amps and 6XS and one - distro going to all the amps and 6XS. does it matter where the ground is?

I dont think so. Im not sure though. I was going to pick up a Coustic XM6 awhile ago and read that they where noisy little devices and a fix for some of them was to ground them at a different point than other audio items in the trunk, but it didnt work for some. Worth a shot though.

okay so I just hooked up a 3amp ATC fuse inline with the 6XS, and tried 3 different grounding location. opposite side of the trunk, bolt for the seat, and ran a wire all the way to the battery and all produced the same result.

Anyone local to NOLA that wants to let me borrow their cap to see if it helps?

I have a cap laying around. Its beat to **** and I dont know if it works. You pay shipping on it and its yours.

What happens if you take the 6XS out of the equation all together?

I have a cap laying around. Its beat to **** and I dont know if it works. You pay shipping on it and its yours.
What happens if you take the 6XS out of the equation all together?
did that and the hiss almost gone. I could only test it on my rear speakers as the 6XS is the crossover for my front stage. the hiss being almost gone could be b/c the 6XS puts out 7-9volts RMS and the HU only 2volts RMS.

I would take you up on that cap but I can get a BNIB 1 farad or a 2 farad for super cheap both have a digital volt meter on top, i'd sell them but there really is very little use for them. but thank you for the offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say if there was a snake in your car it is actually true, because it is between your legs.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

it sounds to me like you're hearing the noise floor of your devices.. gain matching issues almost certainly - at least in my experience
please do explain this gain matching as I've done it via an oscilloscope and the way that audiocontrol recommends. I've also set all adjustments to the lowest possible settings. so if my setting are as low as they go and the hiss is still there please do explain how this is a gain matching issue?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.