I have a kac-8101d 1000w how to i set it to get the most out of it

jbl420
10+ year member

Right now I have it set at 75% gain and freq level at 80-90. but it doesn't sound that loud. Ive herd a few people say it is clean good amp.

But there is no way its pushing 1000w even all the way up. ??? how should I set this amp I have 2 12 inch volfenhag comp subs in a sealed box. Bass boost switch is turned off.

My buddy has an alpine mono 750 maybe a v12 I forget and 2 Rockford 12's and his car seems to hit harder and louder doesn't make sense maybe his amp is stronger and has bigger fuses

I have 4g power wires and grounds going to my amps and a 0 guage from battery.

got a sony hookedup to the doors and the kenwood running the subs. im using an alpine head unit

For one thing your amp is only 500 watts rms which is actual watts. 1000 watts is max. watts. You're buddy's amp is 750 watts rms. Also your subwoofers are not good. Volfenhags is flea market garbage. Not trying to sound harsh but it's the truth. And running them in a sealed box is holding them back even further. Your buddy probably runs his RF's in a ported box.

Do you know what voice coil configs your subs are? Dual 4 ohm, dual 2 ohm? My guess is they're dual 4 and you're running both at 4 ohm which only pulling around 300 watts from the amp. That would be your only option because if you run them at 1 ohm you'll fry your amp. Sorry for the bad news bud... Best bet is to sell your equipment on Craigslist and start over or get a good ported box for the subs and trade your amp for a one ohm stable that does around 1000 "true" watts.

yes and no My buddy amp is 750 that is the max power rating does not say 750 rms clean power is different and no my buddy doesn't have a ported box and hes only got p1's

I am aware that my subs are made for a ported box.

Couldent I just buy a bigger amp??? I could have bought an 1000w alpine mono that had 4 25 amp fuses in it. now that I know would be more like true 1000w.

I also got another friend who has a 2 chan sony 1000w with a sealed box and 2 different subs and even that hits harder then mine and you would think that the guy with the sony is getting only 500w rms weird.

I don't know how to wire subs up for 1 ohm thought??? how would I do that. My amp has 2 speaker outputs yet its listed as a mono block if you have 2 4ohm speakers is that not 2 ohms.

What is funny about this is I have an older punch 150s amp and that amp almost seems just as loud

I don't think alpine has ever listed max power so I think he has a lidgit 750. And his subs are not good but much better then yours. You need to set the gain right, 75% does not mean 75% power. See where it's at then and go from there. Personally I would start over, whoever told you that's a good amp don't know what they are talking about.

So the subs are dual voice coil 4 ohm I'm assuming? If so wire like this: Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard to get a 1 ohm load at the amplifier (bottom diagram). I just use the outside terminals on the amp instead of using both speaker inputs. The negative furthest to the left and the positive furthest to the right for instance (-) - + (+) This is going to give you a 1 ohm load at the amp. The Kenwood isn't going to last very long if you do this...

thanks for the info man and to the other guy no one ever told me the kenwood was a good amp but compared to the small Rockford and the 4 ohm sony explode I had in a bandpass box. you would think what I got now is slightly better

What someone told me is that the kenwood should be fairly clean for what it is.

How I have it wired now both + are located on the left and the - is on right.

its wired how the manual shows I believe ill have to double check then post

The way those diagrams show are only for 1 and 4 ohm loads when you typicaly want a 2 ohm load why would I wanna wire up to 4 ohm at all??sounds like hassel and a lot of work just to wire down to 1 ohm gotta start tearing speakers out sounds like a bunch of work for an amp that doesn't do 1 ohm stable

ok first off the amp only does 500.1 @ 2 ohms.... so with that said i believe 2 D2 subs or 2 s4 subs will give you a possible configuration of 2 ohms. would make sure that they are wired correctly at 2 ohms or make sure the subs are correct for the amp. i have the same amp pushing 2 10" kicker comps s4 subs rated for 150w rms so 300w total and the amp pushes them just fine. the box is not correct for them since its a small prefab box. if they had the correct box they would shine. too bad im selling them and making room for my ssa 10" gcon //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It is a lot of work but you need to pull the subs out of box and see how you have them wired. I don't know how many different voice coil configs that the Volfenhags came in but everyone I've seen is a dual 4. If you wire the subs positive to positive and negative to negative you're wired in parallel. Which means you're at a 1 ohm load at the amp. That Kenwood IS NOT one ohm stable. If you wanted a 2 ohm load you should've gotten 2 dual voice coil 2 ohm subs. So you're only option is running the subs at 4 ohm (wiring them in series). Meaning you're only going to get 300 watts or so from the amp. I still stick with my first suggestion. Either sell everything on CL or get a good ported box for the subs and trade the Kenwood for something one ohm stable.

What I noticed is the box is alil deeper then most with 2 12's. The box that these subs are in is alil shorter then most and wide and made of like thick junky cardboard stuff.

I decided to cut a port hole in the middle between the subs. When I banged on the box in the middle with my hand it seemed hollow but then when I started cutting out the hole I noticed that there infact was a board in the middle so I just cut a an inch off .

Now its ported and sounds alil different I almost wanna say its not as rattly and deep maybe even alil cleaner not as muddy

here's your specs

RMS Power Output at 2 Ohms: at 14.4V (100Hz, 0.5% THD): 400 Watts x 1

RMS Power Output at 4 Ohms,:at 14.4V (20Hz 200Hz, 0.5% THD): 200 Watts x 1

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.