I finally finished my 10 inch ported mtx enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

AZhomegrown
10+ year member

desert
So basically im running a 10 inch mtx thunder 7500 400wrms. Basically i built a box specific to my sub its 1.45 cubic feet with roughly a 24 inch port which has it tuned to 35 hertz. ITs not perfect so all of those numbers may very a bit. THis is mhy first real box. I built a dual 10 box a long time ago but that was nothing like this and not really a challenge compared to this. The ports were suppose to be 2 inches wide through out but i staggered the middle board a bit to kinda taper down the port. Its not slanted or anything it just is moved ofer so its roughly 2.5 inches on the entrance and exits out at about 1.5 inches. I did this because i wanted to somewhat replicate what bose does with there design. I know it doesnt resemble the bose set up what so ever but its the principle of building pressure by having the port get smaller. I need some better tools and to take some more time on my cuts so my tolerences arent the best on all of my joints but for the most part its solid and made up for any errors with wood glue and silicone. This box sounds great. It may not look like much but this box makes such a difference to my sealed prefab. No one can believe its just one ten. please mind the box if its a bit messy.

Last two pic. My one regret is that this box isnt cleaner but its a learning experience. I didnt hardly have enough time to finish anyways but it works good and is solid. The main issue is the lack of tools. I have a fair collection but next time im gonna get the major cuts done at lowes. I ddidnt know i was gonna build this when i bought the wood so i didnt get the cuts done. Nezt time if i do that this will be a lot better but like i said it sounds great and have already got compliments on it. Ported is the way to go. I get great bass on most different types of music. Thanks for anyone thats helped in past posts on this.

how much would it change it if its the same area just a different ratio between the widths. It sounds great so im not disapointed. Im not denying it changed it, im just curious of how much of a difference there would be. Like i said earlier there are some tolerance issues and some of the cuts wereent perfect so after adjusting everythinhg to fit smoothly it changed things. WEll this is my first box so next time things are gonna be a lot more clean and hopefully more function. I love some of the work i see on here. Atleast i improved from my prefab.

i would think the area would stay the same its got two sections to it so rather than being 2inches and 2 inches is 2.5 and 1.5. This picture explains it better, how you can see one section being a little bit bigger than the other. Im not trying to argue i just want to figure out the logic to it. I just like to know things i guess i could do some calculations to figure it out. Either way it does sound great. It really pulls those lows out and i didnt lose much on the higher end. Asthetically it isnt the most appealing. It looks fine but its not perfect. I will probably build a new box soon and give this one to someone else. Im hooked after working on this box. I just wanna try different designs and unique setups. Im still adding to my tool collection so hopefully i will get a bit more efficient and tidy here in the future when i can afford more tools specifically a table saw and a router.

is there any negatives to having the port taper down. I just wanted to mimick the bose technology in a way. Well not that its bose originated it but basically the concept of having the port get smaller towards the exit to increase and concentrate the pressure. I figured there would be a difference by doing this but wasnt sure how it would effect it. Wasnt sure if it would change the hertz but the sound in general i figured would change which is why i did that. Nothing that i did was exact i just worked with what i had to get as close as possible to the specs and calculations that i had. Any tips for future designs would be appreciated. This definitly isnt the end my box making and plan on getting started on a new design here soon. I love the fact that making little changes in design can cause different changes in the output of the subwoofer. I cant wait to get past the basics so i can really gert intricate.

I just want to say that this box didnt turn out in any way like i planned. This is mostly due to the fact that i was using wood that was cut for something else so i had to do a lot of cutting with simple jig saw that i havent used much. The tolerences at the joints are terrible, not all but many are. I fixed that with extra would glue and silicone. I started off using liquid nails which i guess is a no no. I had to cut off about 1/8-1/4inch off of 3 of the boards to match one that was cut crooked and too short. Im learning. I wanted to play around and thats why i did the taper. I figured it couldnt hurt. Everything else is different then planned and i always was curious what that might do and i wanted to go with a little gut feeling and i feel in the long run i got a decent product considering. I appreciate the criticism because obviously there is much more experience out there than what i have as of yet. I want to make mistakes and learn, but all i can say is this turned out far better than i had thought. I was very nervous going into this thinking i was going to come out with some hack job that sounds like crap and i ended up with a half way decent mostly true ported sub box that has increased bass in a desired fasion and is far better then the prefab that i had before though it may have looked a little better, some carpet and it wouldnt look half bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.