I am having issues with a new stereo (Sony XAV-AX8000) in a 2015 Prius V Wagon.

Participant count
  • Participants list

jenn_eris

CarAudio.com Newbie

I just had it installed yesterday, and they had issues with getting everything working. I am going back tomorrow to come up with a game plan. It took from 9am to 1:20pm, and I had to run to work, and did not have time to work out the issues.

1. Keyfobs are not working. I am guessing the antenna needs to be split to the key fob receiver. This is the deal breaker for me. If they can't get it working, I am going to return it.
2. The JBL seemed to kick more base out of the speakers than the Sony, I am not sure if I need to set the equalizer differently, or buy a subwoofer.
3. They put a little Sirus antenna on the dash, and that seems silly, is there a way to use the old antenna? (There is a tiny little mike for the phone, but that doesn't bother me as much, although I would prefer if they used the factory mike.)
4. They plugged the stereo on the battery line instead of the accessory line, so it stays on after the car is off. (The lighter is doing the same.)
5. USB plug not run to usb in dash. I would not mind if it still had power.

So, has any one else had any similar issues?

Now, I have a factory radio in my trunk? Is it worth selling, or just keep in a box?

Thanks, JW

Sounds like your installer had no idea what they were doing. I'd be tempted to get your money back and go to a different installer because none of this is making sense.

1. From some quick searching over on the Prius forum, it doesn't look like your keyfobs are linked to your stereo, unless your installer disconnected your fob's receiver while they were under the dash and didn't reconnect it?

2. The sound is all dependant on how the installer connected the head unit to the speakers - The stock JBL systems have 8 speakers and your Sony only has output for 4 of them, that may be why you're experiencing less sound. If the installer connected your stereo to your factory amp then there are other problems but I don't know enough specifically about the Prius JBL system to delve deeper.

3. There are adapters and harnesses to maintain factory integration with your SiriusXM. You shouldn't need another antenna sitting on your dash. (Very unprofessional IMO)

4. Holy christ get your money back, this is Day 1 hour 1 installer stuff - Power cycle vehicle and make sure the harness is pinned correctly. God forbid they manually hacked the install and didn't use harness adapters which is the most common way this occurs. (Which permanently hacks the vehicles wiring harness, not something I would touch in a hybrid) - I would ask that they pull the stereo and make sure they actually used a harness adapter to connect your stereo and didn't just cut the wires and use screw terminals/electrical tape on them.

5. Again there is a Metra USB adapter to keep aux/USB functionality this should've also been included as part of the install.

I would keep hold of the factory stereo as it looks like you may need to go back until you find an installer qualified enough to make sure your Sony will factory integrate into your Prius.

A good place to start to give you an idea is here: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QUFrDMwNtja/learn/2010-2014-toyota-prius.html

I would also recommend you post here: https://priuschat.com/forum/prius-v-audio-and-electronics.125/

as they probably have a lot more experience with the specific intricacies involved with the 3rd Gen Prius/JBL system.

Sounds like you have a long road ahead of you, I can only hope you took the car to a reputable installer who will take care of everything and hope they didn't hack your harness as that'd be grounds to sue them. GL

Last edited:

I just had it installed yesterday, and they had issues with getting everything working. I am going back tomorrow to come up with a game plan. It took from 9am to 1:20pm, and I had to run to work, and did not have time to work out the issues.

1. Keyfobs are not working. I am guessing the antenna needs to be split to the key fob receiver. This is the deal breaker for me. If they can't get it working, I am going to return it.
2. The JBL seemed to kick more base out of the speakers than the Sony, I am not sure if I need to set the equalizer differently, or buy a subwoofer.
3. They put a little Sirus antenna on the dash, and that seems silly, is there a way to use the old antenna? (There is a tiny little mike for the phone, but that doesn't bother me as much, although I would prefer if they used the factory mike.)
4. They plugged the stereo on the battery line instead of the accessory line, so it stays on after the car is off. (The lighter is doing the same.)
5. USB plug not run to usb in dash. I would not mind if it still had power.

So, has any one else had any similar issues?

Now, I have a factory radio in my trunk? Is it worth selling, or just keep in a box?

Thanks, JW
Sounds like a hack job too me ...you may want to see if they have another technician installer to straighten it all out

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.