Hypothetical warranty question for you guys...

wesleysh
10+ year member

Senior VIP w/large Member
Michigan
Let's say your getting an unbelievable deal on an entire system. Head unit, amplifiers, subs, speakers, wiring, eq's, x-overs, the whole nine. This is a general question, so let's assume that it is all higher end equipment that you know little about the company specifically, but its a deal you can't pass up (however good a deal that is for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ).

Now, let's say the "catch" so to speak is that you can only get ONE item with a warranty. The rest of it you will be left out in the cold with if something goes wrong with it.

The question is, which piece of equipment would you choose to get that warranty on and why?

(Yes, this was a round about way of asking a simple question, lol. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif )

Whatever product cost the most money.

Probably the bass amp.

I'd rather spend $400 or $500 to replace a HU than $1200 to replace a really good amp.

also a good poitn, but when things go wrong with amps, generally, tis something you could have avoided (over loading, etc) with Hu'smuch of the time, there is/was nuthing you could do about it...

whatever item is mostly likely to break...

I would think the amp would be last, b/c as long as you wire everything right you should be fine

if you're confident you won't blow your speakers I would go with hu

I never thought about the moving parts on the head unit thing, that's something else for me to think about.

out of all the things I have ever sent back on warranty, 1 10 inch sub valued about $70, 1 pioneer head unit that was worth about $229, and 1 kenwood head unit ( the first one with the motorized face) worth almost $400, it got sent twice, both times because of the motorized face. never had any problems with any amps, so I would say the head unit would be the most important..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'll second(third, forth?) the statement about HU's going out fast. I am getting my third one this weekend because the previous two died. It wasn't even a motorized face, just the motor that actually ejects/spins the CD died. Never had a problem with amps or anything else.

Normally I would have went with whatevers the most expensive //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif . Afer reading this, I would probably go with the HU. Never thought about the motorized face aspect of it. I feel so enlightened. *Tear*

My HU is slowly taking a dump. The play/pause button sticks and is becoming increasingly difficult to press, and the things that spit out the CD are so weak that he cd only comes out to about 1/16" past the slot, making it nearly impossible to take out the cd. And I've only had the thing in my car for 6 months.

I had a Clarion DRB. The backlighting went out on it so you couldn't read anything at night. Then the DOWN volume control stopped working normally. You had to press it at a very specific angle and pressure to get it to work, so special that only I knew how to work it, you couldn't even describe what to do, lol. That was SO funny watching people play with my stereo, because it was rather loud. They would play it, then try and turn it down. When it doesn't go down what is the first instinct for everyone? They hit the UP volume button for a test, and the volume went up. But they still couldn't get the volume to go down. So they hit the UP again. Yes, it was a very funny cycle indeed.

And yes, after my little quirks with my head unit I never thought about HU's being the first to go when no user abuse is involved. Some people can only learn from others I guess, lol.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I would also go with thehead unit...but this is a very touchy subject. because when your dealing with electronics, especially car audio anything can go wrong.....subs also go bad too.....so they would be my number two choice......then amps as number three.....but IMO i wouldn't get anything without warranty unless i'm willing to take a total loss...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.