hybrid audio imagine vs jbl ms 62c

Participant count
  • Participant list
I had this conversation with Allyn who used to work at Soundman (local authorized HAT dealer) earlier this week. Funny you mentioned it now. We both kind of came to an agreement that HAT could do a lot better on the imaging side of things on their lower lines. I'd say if you're planning to to HAT, go for at LEAST the Unity since you get the upgraded crossover and tweeters from the Clarus line.

I've run the MS comps for a couple months now and they do extremely well for their price. I'm also very happy they're not as power-hungry as the GTi comps are. Even at 45W, they really sparkle. Right now, the absolute most rms they're getting is 120W and the midbass gets a serious improvement from it.

My hat (no pun intended) does go off to the Imagines for their midbasses.

which ever set i use will be run active so if i go hat the unity cross over upgrade would be mute . looks like hat imagine gets the nod in the midbass department but what about vocals and detail?

also i have some hat l1 tweeters that i will probable use if i don t sell them. i got the hat l1 s at single unit dealer cost[too bad that connection is no longer available] would the hat mids sound better with the imagines or the jbl? thanks

Hard to say, really. Keep in mind that the crossover network for the Imagines is physically attached to the woofer but has nothing to do with woofer attenuation (just for tweeter protection). I would honestly contact Scott and see if he can sell you just the Imagine midbasses if you've already got the L1 tweeters. Is there a specific budget you have in mind?

my budget ***** right now. less than 200.00ish next year after i get ahead finanacially i ll be able tospend 400-500 buck. thats when my fronts become rear fill or i ll just sell them. my understanding is that the hat imagines tweeter is removable;which is what i would do.

Your L1 tweets will stomp all over the Imagine or the JBL tweets. I'd recommend getting a raw driver if you're looking at upgrading and then just using your current woofers as a dedicated midbass/rear fill (read: no tweeter). The beauty of the L1 is how low it can be crossed over. This leaves you open to tons of options. For the cost, seeing as how your budget sucs right now, I'd just recommend a pair of Dayton RS180s. Best bang for the buck right there if you ask me.

Dayton Audio RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm 295-374

Or if you want the 8-ohm version:

Dayton Audio RS180-8 7" Reference Woofer 295-355

Price is each, not as a pair.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

I'll add to my statement that the JBL tweets are definitely good competitors, but the L1 will sadly win.

thanks so much. i think i ll go the dayton raw driver route and maybe upgrade next year to some hat legatias mids. or who knows i might just fall in love with the daytons

[quote name='spec']thanks so much. i think i ll go the dayton raw driver route and maybe upgrade next year to some hat legatias mids. or who knows i might just fall in love with the daytons[/QUOTE]

TBH, I think the Legatia mids, even though they cover a very wide band, underperform to their competitors at the price point. @West ; was using Legatias for a while and could never get them to image properly. Since you're running active, I would say that Madisound and Parts Express will probably end up the only two places you'll be getting drivers for a while so long as you study up on them. Madisound carries HiVi, Vifa, Morel, ScanSpeak, and a few others while PE is more of a home-theater based company that started realizing their equipment does equally well in a car's environment.

wow i just googled the daytons and found them for 100.00 bucks for the pair. unreal deal can t wait to hear these. just what i need for now.

this is an awesome forum!! thanks a millon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.