HU to multiple amp RCA connection.

Participant count
  • Participants list

RodSlinger

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have an Alpine ilx-201 HU with 3 RCA outs, front, rear, sub.
I have 4 amps.
1. Super Tweeters
2. Mids
3. Mid-lows
4. Bass
I’ve searched for DSP’s to split the RCA’s, but none of them accept all three of my pre outs.
Id like to know if anyone has suggestions or knows of a device that would work in this application.

I have an Alpine ilx-201 HU with 3 RCA outs, front, rear, sub.
I have 4 amps.
1. Super Tweeters
2. Mids
3. Mid-lows
4. Bass
I’ve searched for DSP’s to split the RCA’s, but none of them accept all three of my pre outs.
Id like to know if anyone has suggestions or knows of a device that would work in this application.
One set is more than enough if you use a dsp. The Alpine PXA-H800 has 6 channel inputs if you badly want to do it this way.

One set is more than enough if you use a dsp. The Alpine PXA-H800 has 6 channel inputs if you badly want to do it this way.
One set of pre outs(2 RCA’s or 4?)? The HU does give me the option to sync front and rear outputs, but with the separate outs for the sub, do I just omit the presence of a sub in the HU software and use the DSP to split them?
This is what happens when my electrician brain confronts electronics. Whole different world.

I would think that there's simply a powered RCA splitter with a gain.

Knowing where all the speakers are located would help here. The proximity of these speakers to each other would help determine what channels they need to be on. Like if your mid's and mid-lows are all on the same door, you could use the same RCA set for those (y-split them) and just cross them over to what they need to be for their own frequency responses.

You could also possibly use passive crossovers that will power multiple speakers off the same amplifier channel.

Are you doing time alignment? Do you have rear door or behind the front seat speakers (not including subs)? What's the vehicle? Speaker locations would be relevant to how this is eventually set up, IMO.

Knowing where all the speakers are located would help here. The proximity of these speakers to each other would help determine what channels they need to be on. Like if your mid's and mid-lows are all on the same door, you could use the same RCA set for those (y-split them) and just cross them over to what they need to be for their own frequency responses.

You could also possibly use passive crossovers that will power multiple speakers off the same amplifier channel.

Are you doing time alignment? Do you have rear door or behind the front seat speakers (not including subs)? What's the vehicle? Speaker locations would be relevant to how this is eventually set up, IMO.

OK. Here’s the setup.
2002 Escalade
I’ll be placing Memphis 6.5” subs and 6.5” mids in each door in the factory space(with some modifications of course)
2 Focal E KX30 12’s will be in the far back, dual sealed enclosure tuned to 40Hz
2 Orion HCCA 4” Super Tweeters will be on the A pillars, another 2 in custom enclosures near the pillar behind the back doors.
I have 3 Stetsom HL1200.4 amps for small subs, mids and tweets. I have a Stetsom EX3500 to run the 12’s.
The HU has time alignment capabilities, as do some of the DSP’s I’ve been researching.
The budget wears thin. I was worried about signal loss with Y type RCA splitters.

OK. Here’s the setup.
2002 Escalade
I’ll be placing Memphis 6.5” subs and 6.5” mids in each door in the factory space(with some modifications of course)
2 Focal E KX30 12’s will be in the far back, dual sealed enclosure tuned to 40Hz
2 Orion HCCA 4” Super Tweeters will be on the A pillars, another 2 in custom enclosures near the pillar behind the back doors.
I have 3 Stetsom HL1200.4 amps for small subs, mids and tweets. I have a Stetsom EX3500 to run the 12’s.
The HU has time alignment capabilities, as do some of the DSP’s I’ve been researching.
The budget wears thin. I was worried about signal loss with Y type RCA splitters.

I like those Focal subs....you should do them ported or 4th order bandpass, if that works for how you like your music. I've designed a couple of boxes for single KX30 12's; I like those subs. They look like very good subs. Especially since you'll have door subs for high bass/midbass. Your setup here is actually really cool.

I would strongly advise against putting super tweeters near the b-pillar. I think that might be a bit of ear rape if the front seat people can hear it.

You could run the front tweets, 6.5 mids and 6.5 subs all off the front channel RCA's, run the rear stuff off the rear and the big subs off the sub channel. Do your amps have both high and low pass crossovers?

You can get RCA in-line voltage boosters that are powered. So it's like a mini-amp for your RCA voltage, if you're worried about voltage dropping from splitting. I would just try splitting them first and see if it works for you and your ears. If that doesn't work, just get a powered RCA in-line voltage booster.

I was worried about signal loss with Y type RCA splitters.

There's options like this to boost RCA pre-amp voltage after the radio. What you'd look for is one of these that boosts RCA voltage quite a bit, if you're worried about the splitting of RCA's to multiple amps causing voltage drops. You can just twist the gain knobs on this and boost the RCA voltage coming from the radio RCA outputs.

I like those Focal subs....you should do them ported or 4th order bandpass, if that works for how you like your music. I've designed a couple of boxes for single KX30 12's; I like those subs. They look like very good subs. Especially since you'll have door subs for high bass/midbass. Your setup here is actually really cool.

I would strongly advise against putting super tweeters near the b-pillar. I think that might be a bit of ear rape if the front seat people can hear it.

You could run the front tweets, 6.5 mids and 6.5 subs all off the front channel RCA's, run the rear stuff off the rear and the big subs off the sub channel. Do your amps have both high and low pass crossovers?

You can get RCA in-line voltage boosters that are powered. So it's like a mini-amp for your RCA voltage, if you're worried about voltage dropping from splitting. I would just try splitting them first and see if it works for you and your ears. If that doesn't work, just get a powered RCA in-line voltage booster.
OK. Mind blown. 4th Order

4th order bandpass? What is this sorcery you speak of? I am a metal head. I prefer thump to booooooommmmmmm. SQL, not SPL. Which is why I chose the Focals. I’ll have to research the 4th order thing. I’ve heard bandpass enclosures are very particular when it comes to tuning.
The supertweets at the rear will be behind the back seats, mid way between top of seats and hatch, about 5’ from my ears.
Yes, all amps are full range.
I think you may have solved my problem. I was thinking each set of like speakers to each amp. Never occurred to me that I could split them between amps and use the crossovers to adjust what goes where. You are indeed a brilliant man. I greatly appreciate all your advice.

OK. Mind blown. 4th Order

4th order bandpass? What is this sorcery you speak of? I am a metal head. I prefer thump to booooooommmmmmm. SQL, not SPL. Which is why I chose the Focals. I’ll have to research the 4th order thing. I’ve heard bandpass enclosures are very particular when it comes to tuning.
The supertweets at the rear will be behind the back seats, mid way between top of seats and hatch, about 5’ from my ears.
Yes, all amps are full range.
I think you may have solved my problem. I was thinking each set of like speakers to each amp. Never occurred to me that I could split them between amps and use the crossovers to adjust what goes where. You are indeed a brilliant man. I greatly appreciate all your advice.

No problem!

I'm a box designer, so I'm always thinking of different ways to do things. There's a type of sealed-t-line 4th order bandpass hybrid that I can do for those subs, where it plays like sealed but gets a big boost from the front t-line. It would be a relatively massive box. It would be huge, but it's big, natural sound. You don't get a big group delay and sloppy bass from an enclosure like this, it's not like ported with a loading chamber. Here's an example of one of those that I already did; it was for 2 12's:

If you don't have 3rd row seats, you could easily fit this type of enclosure. This was in an SUV way smaller than yours.

One set of pre outs(2 RCA’s or 4?)? The HU does give me the option to sync front and rear outputs, but with the separate outs for the sub, do I just omit the presence of a sub in the HU software and use the DSP to split them?
This is what happens when my electrician brain confronts electronics. Whole different world.
Yes the dsp splits everything. You'll need a remote controller or your phone if you want to change settings on the fly.

No problem!

I'm a box designer, so I'm always thinking of different ways to do things. There's a type of sealed-t-line 4th order bandpass hybrid that I can do for those subs, where it plays like sealed but gets a big boost from the front t-line. It would be a relatively massive box. It would be huge, but it's big, natural sound. You don't get a big group delay and sloppy bass from an enclosure like this, it's not like ported with a loading chamber. Here's an example of one of those that I already did; it was for 2 12's:

View attachment 32957

View attachment 32956

View attachment 32960

View attachment 32959

If you don't have 3rd row seats, you could easily fit this type of enclosure. This was in an SUV way smaller than yours.
I’m thinking this is far beyond my budget limitations, but throw me a price anyway. I’d like the most bang for my Buck so to speak.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

RodSlinger

CarAudio.com Newbie
RodSlinger
Tallahassee, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views