HU, $250 or lower?

pwnt by pat
10+ year member

Pat for Prez 2024 - vote!
Pa
I'm looking to upgrade my cd player to something a little nicer. Right now I have the AIWA $95 unit from Best Buy 'cause I needed something. It works well but I'm selling it as it only has one rca.

I'm liking the Clarion DXZ745MP. I like it for it's plain jane looks and nice set of features. Basicly, I want to be able to turn my highs and lows up and turn my mids down while not having a goofy stupid glowy screen and clunky interface. What else is in this price region that I should concider? I'd like to buy in the next day or two. Oh, and I prefer solid black units as it matches my car's interior.

I will have my own amps for comps and subs. I'll be using the amp's crossover but I don't have an external EQ. I could get one if I need to. I'll look into the Alpine 7995 now. How would I go about getting a black one (this is before looking - I noticed before they are almost all silver)?

edit: 350 at the cheapest places on froogle is way out of my league.... I'm looking at a max, 275.

Eclipse makes a deck under 250. Well not with tax. It has a lot of great stuff, and comes with a anti theft guard. (they will replace it if stolen) High volt pre-outs, built in x-over, mp3/cdrw, 3 sets of RCA's. I LOVE MINE

I'd look at the Nak CD-400, although I've heard of people having problems with Nakamichi. I have the CD-45z, which I think was replaced by the CD-400, I love it, I've never had any problems, it has amazing SQ, and is really simple to use and looks very stock, 3 4v outputs and AUX input, but it has no MP3 or built in crossovers or sub level control, just a three band EQ to adjust the sound.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3293&item=5728496356&rd=1

The cd-400 looks awesome but without mp3, it's practically useless to me. I am really liking that kenwood the more I look at it. Are there any opinions on it?

I don't have weeks and weeks to look, a couple of days at the most.

There's a great deal on a Eclipse 3434 on ebay for 220+15 shipping. Should I jump on that?

If you are brining your own amps, I would say the Alpine 7995. Only solid black I can think of is the Nak. 400..

Word... I rock the Alpine 7995. It is a **** nice headunit. Don't know if you will find it for under $250 though, I bought mine used off a friend for $165 though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Okay, Breogan24 gave an awesome offer and it's down to the eclipse 3434 or the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X679

(leaving out unimportant stuff to me)

Kenwood (270 new):

» multicolor dot-matrix display

» CR-2 tuner (dunno what this is exactly, radio?)

» plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs

» plays MP3 and WMA files

» System Q EX Sound Control

» 3-band parametric equalizer

» System E's+ crossover system

» source tone memory

» dual zone audio control

» 5-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs

» Amplifier Management System (AMS) controls

» optional auxiliary input

» CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz

» CD signal-to-noise ratio 110 dB

» FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf

» warranty: 2 years

» free wire harness

» free mounting kit (apparently)

» free shipping

Eclipse (235 - used):

» CD, CD-R/RW, and MP3.

» Advanced FM and AM digital tuner section

» Source volume control (SVC) for uniform system volume setting from any program source

» NOB smart rotary encoder control

» Front/Rear/Non-fader preamplifier RCA output terminal pairs

» Flexible bass and treble controls

» Non-fader level phase control

» Guide tones to confirm operation

» 2.7v front/rear/sub preout

I would love to order tomorrow!

Eclipse makes a deck under 250. Well not with tax. It has a lot of great stuff, and comes with a anti theft guard. (they will replace it if stolen) High volt pre-outs, built in x-over, mp3/cdrw, 3 sets of RCA's. I LOVE MINE
Eclipse makes a few decks under $250. I believe they start at $179, then $199, then $249). I think Eclipse would be a good choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.