HT sub enclosure.

Participant count
  • Participant list

netzero
10+ year member

USMC
Hey im doing a little home stereo/home theater system and putting in four 8" subs. I'm building the box, but having a hard time with size and space.

how much volume would be good for the subs, what tuning ( i was thinking 28hz)?

Also, down firing.. what does it do, and should i do it? If yes, i dont have much space to do it, so would two firing down, and two firing at the listener with the port sound fine?

Thanks, sorry if it sounds kinda noob, but i wasnt sure if not having the subs on the same plane would effect the sound/volume/cancellation etc.

Usually with HT setups if you can build big and tune low, you would be able to dig down to where other garbage can't even reach. By this I'm talking 20Hz and below.

To get more output, have all subs down firing if possible. Doing so will couple the floor. The rest is experimenting with room placement to achieve a nice blend between output and low end.

Good luck!

Mark

Usually with HT setups if you can build big and tune low, you would be able to dig down to where other garbage can't even reach. By this I'm talking 20Hz and below.
To get more output, have all subs down firing if possible. Doing so will couple the floor. The rest is experimenting with room placement to achieve a nice blend between output and low end.

Good luck!

Mark
Ok, how big is big? typical 8s need around .5-.8 cubes correct? what wouuld you say would be big enough for four 8s in this application? at this box size, i dont think i could go that low unfortunately...

My 15's are in 10cubes each at 19Hz and they get very low and loud off 800watts total. HT sub design is much different then car audio.

Either learn to use WinISD or get someone to model the subs for you. Also need to decide if it will be 100% HT or used to play music also as super low tuned boxes don't have as much output for music...

The subs are four ED EHQS8's I bought from Skip01, heres the specs on them.

Yes they will be for watching movies, but i listen to music a lot through the system to, thats why i was going a low tuning, but not true HT low. Would 28 and good medium? Four 8's in 4 cubes tuned to 28hz and around 37 In^2 of port?

Power Handing : 100w

Available Voice Coils : Single 2 & Single 4

Sealed Box Size : .75-1.00cF

Vented Box Size : 1.25-1.65cF

Qts: .48

Qes: .64

Qms: 7.50

Fs: 32

Re: 4.1

Vas: 40 L

Bl: 6.8 T*m

SPL: 84.95 dB

Sd: 220 cm^2

Xmax: 6.00 mm

Voice Coil : 25 mm

How does this look? Comes out to be 4.2 cubes net, tuned to 27. Port is 3x15.5x35" So 46.5 in^2 with a flare

8inbox.jpg

8inbox2.jpg

Those TS numbers don't jive at all. Nevertheless, with those numbers if you want to use the drivers for HT and be able to dig fairly low, build a box 18 cues in size and tune to 25 Hz. You will be -3dB at ~21Hz which is pretty good. Don't add more than about 75 watts to them at those frequencies.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.