How's this budget sub?

Rockford Fosgate Prime R1S410 R1 10-Inch 150 Watt Subwoofer - 4 Ohm
Bought for 42 bucks off of amazon. Gonna use a pre fab enclosure tuned around 46-48 hz for SPL. This is a replacement from a 10 inch kicker comp same SPL and wattage ratings. Should I expect same quality? Not needing earth shattering bass just enough to bump my head a little in my rig.
Man I am sorry you already bought this, the RF R1 stuff is just garbage, the Kicker comp in a decent enclosure will do pretty good on some budget installs, I would try and sell this before you even hook it up and try and take as small a loss as possible you should be able to find JBL gt5's or Infinity reference pretty cheap online that we use for a lot of budget installs, Kicker comps are still decent if they are cheap enough, in RF the lowest line to use would be the P1

Spend a little more money and get something decent instead of the bottom of the barrel

Just get 12 inch kenwoods in a sealed box man, they put out work in a sealed box for only 60 bucks. Would sound better then a 10 in a prefab ported and get just as loud. If you dont have resources for a proper ported box then you just need more cone area/bigger subs in a sealed box. As for a sealed box, dont buy it for 30 bucks outside, you can just buy a sheet of wood for 15 bucks wood glue and screws for another 5 bucks, have the home depot guys cut it then glue and screw, not that hard, requires a screwdriver, nothing too fancy. get a friend with a jigsaw to cut the hole

yea seriously OP, I take it that you haven't heard many good setups to say that prefab sounds good. Everyone on this forum knows that RF sub is just straight garbage. Nothing against Rockford as I was a hardcore RF fan myself back in the day. The kicker comp would be about the same or a little better I would say. I guess if you really wanna keep it simple and cheap, go to Walmart and buy the kicker comp package for about $100. Comes in prefab sealed box. Making a custom ported box would be the biggest difference in output and sound quality though. It's all in the enclosure!

Even if you don't have the resources to build a box, it can still be done with a little creativity. First, try looking around the forum for free plans for a 10" ported box. Then go to Home Depot and have them cut the exact sizes you want. Find someone with a circle jigsaw or go to a woodshop place to cut a circle for you. Then all you gotta do is glue it yourself with some strong wood glue. Will cost you less than a prefab. Go with 1.5 cu ft net tuned to somewhere in the 30's. Tuning at 40+ is usually for competing. They don't even play music. It's purely for how loud you can go with tones.

Just get 12 inch kenwoods in a sealed box man, they put out work in a sealed box for only 60 bucks. Would sound better then a 10 in a prefab ported and get just as loud. If you dont have resources for a proper ported box then you just need more cone area/bigger subs in a sealed box. As for a sealed box, dont buy it for 30 bucks outside, you can just buy a sheet of wood for 15 bucks wood glue and screws for another 5 bucks, have the home depot guys cut it then glue and screw, not that hard, requires a screwdriver, nothing too fancy. get a friend with a jigsaw to cut the hole
I'll keep that in mind, I forgot on my last threads you recommended excelons. Didn't know it was that simple to get a box built.

yea seriously OP, I take it that you haven't heard many good setups to say that prefab sounds good. Everyone on this forum knows that RF sub is just straight garbage. Nothing against Rockford as I was a hardcore RF fan myself back in the day. The kicker comp would be about the same or a little better I would say. I guess if you really wanna keep it simple and cheap, go to Walmart and buy the kicker comp package for about $100. Comes in prefab sealed box. Making a custom ported box would be the biggest difference in output and sound quality though. It's all in the enclosure!
Even if you don't have the resources to build a box, it can still be done with a little creativity. First, try looking around the forum for free plans for a 10" ported box. Then go to Home Depot and have them cut the exact sizes you want. Find someone with a circle jigsaw or go to a woodshop place to cut a circle for you. Then all you gotta do is glue it yourself with some strong wood glue. Will cost you less than a prefab. Go with 1.5 cu ft net tuned to somewhere in the 30's. Tuning at 40+ is usually for competing. They don't even play music. It's purely for how loud you can go with tones.
Only problem is I live 120 miles from a home depot :p southern Missouri is a pain. And no I haven't heard what its like to have a PROPER system.

I'm going to be completely honest' date=' it will not sound as bad as two kicker cvt's on a crunch 500 watt amp, in a Silverado under the bench box with no air space, now that sounds like azz.[/quote']
man how many systems have you performed CPR to so far? seems like you are single-handedly saving your whole disaster filled car audio community.

man how many systems have you performed CPR to so far? seems like you are single-handedly saving your whole disaster filled car audio community.
Lol, quite a few, facebook page for my business kicked it off we have 4 installs this week, nothing big, just new amps, and radios, and speaker replacement. Big installs are being talked through, adjusting prices and products, customers are not easily satisfied when they spend more then a grand lol.

On a serious note, you guys have not heard AZZ until you listen to the setup I said above. Oh yeah they were wired individually to the 500 watt crunch using not 16 gauge wire, but 20 gauge speaker wire. I have a picture to show you jeff, want to see the ground that I ripped off and tap screwed my own into the truck? Here is it. The white powder is the wire. The car shop before me didn't silicone the screw they used to tap through the frame with.

qdS6NC4.jpg

Lol' date=' quite a few, facebook page for my business kicked it off we have 4 installs this week, nothing big, just new amps, and radios, and speaker replacement. Big installs are being talked through, adjusting prices and products, customers are not easily satisfied when they spend more then a grand lol.
On a serious note, you guys have not heard AZZ until you listen to the setup I said above. Oh yeah they were wired individually to the 500 watt crunch using not 16 gauge wire, but 20 gauge speaker wire. I have a picture to show you jeff, want to see the ground that I ripped off and tap screwed my own into the truck? Here is it. The white powder is the wire. The car shop before me didn't silicone the screw they used to tap through the frame with.

[img']http://i.imgur.com/qdS6NC4.jpg[/img]
holy sh*t thats horrid

Lol' date=' quite a few, facebook page for my business kicked it off we have 4 installs this week, nothing big, just new amps, and radios, and speaker replacement. Big installs are being talked through, adjusting prices and products, customers are not easily satisfied when they spend more then a grand lol.

[img']http://i.imgur.com/qdS6NC4.jpg[/img]
someone payed good money for that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.