How would I wire this setup up?

Atl_monte
10+ year member

I just recently purchased a car that has/had 4 Memphis 12s in a ported box, I opted to remove the box for recarpeting and due to the weight decided to remove a couple of subs first to remove some of the weight, when doing so I noticed that of the 4 subs two are SVC's and two are DVC's the box is separated into sides 1 of each on this side and one of each on the other, this setup was originally powered by a kicker 1200.1 but Im doing away with that in favor of my Fosgate 2000.1 but I have a question as to how to wire this setup back up, here are the specs for the subs

memphis m3124

12" M3 single 4 Ohm Series

Subwoofer

Power Handling:

Peak: 600 watts

RMS: 300 watt

Sensitivity 92.1 dB

Memphis m3122D

12" M3 Dual 2 Ohm Series Subwoofer

Power Handling:

Peak: 800 watts

RMS: 400 watts

Impedance: Dual 2 ohm

Dual 2 ohm voice coils

Sensitivity: 90 dB

You really just need to get 2 more of the d2's. The way you have it, subs are going to be getting different amounts of power. If I were you I would put just the d2s in one section of the box(leave the s4s out) and wire the 2 subs to 2 ohm and watch the gain untill you get 2 more then can wire to one ohm and get more power and more cone area

I know in a perfect world it would be best to have all 4 of the same subs, especially since the sensitivity isn't the same, but I would like to work with what I have if it at all possible especially since this isn't for competition

Never mix subs.. I'm not sure that it would make a lot of difference in your case, but usually the different sounds clash and the overall result is a crappy sounding system.

EDIT: Actually, with the subs receiving different amounts of power, it would sound like complete trash.

if I wired the VC of the of the DVCs to make each DVC sub 4ohm and connected the VC of SVC together to make them together 4ohm wouldn't that be like wiring up 3 4ohm subs = 1.33 ohm load the amp? And wouldn't they all roughly get the same amount of power?

if I wired the VC of the of the DVCs to make each DVC sub 4ohm and connected the VC of SVC together to make them together 4ohm wouldn't that be like wiring up 3 4ohm subs = 1.33 ohm load the amp? And wouldn't they all roughly get the same amount of power?
Wire the DVC's up to 4 ohms, then you'll have four 4 ohm subs. then wire two of them together, then the other two. Wiring the two DVC's together after bringing them up to 4 will result in the load being at 2 ohms, then wiring the SVC's together will give you 2 ohms as well. Then wire that together. You'll end up with a total load of 1 ohm. Viola!

---------- Post added at 05:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

does that make sense?

If its not for competition then why do you need 1400 watts worth of subs. My very first system had 2 12" subs and a total RMS of 400w. That rattled my whole car, a taurus at the time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.