How to wire speakers without a diagram?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Duncan
10+ year member

i have a 96 chrysler concorde and the speaker diagram i found online isnt correct. i tried to just work it out by myself but its not really working out. i got the rear 6x9's working but then it cut out my front 5 1/4's that i had previously installed. Also when i turn my key just one knotch just to work the electrical features like the stereo and the windows the back speakers come in and out until i turn it up quite loud. That problem goes away when i turn my car on. i dont have an amp for the speakers and im just running the speakers off of the previous wires in the car.

take pics of your speaker wire connections. we need to see how you make connections first. i suspect your connections are giving you issues.

next, you can buy a Haynes manual and it will give you necessary wiring diagrams and colors.

do you have a factory or aftermarket head unit? did you use a wire harness adapter for the HU or did you cut factory wires? do you know the wire color codes? did you have a premium system and did you bypass the factory amplifier (if applicable)?

1996 Chrysler Concorde Car Audio Wire Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Pink

Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Red/White

Car Radio Ground Wire: Chassis or Back Strap

Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Orange

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Orange/Red

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Green

Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Red

Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Purple

Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Blue/Red

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/Yellow

Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Light Blue

Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue/White

Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Blue/Orange

take pics of your speaker wire connections. we need to see how you make connections first. i suspect your connections are giving you issues.
next, you can buy a Haynes manual and it will give you necessary wiring diagrams and colors.

do you have a factory or aftermarket head unit? did you use a wire harness adapter for the HU or did you cut factory wires? do you know the wire color codes? did you have a premium system and did you bypass the factory amplifier (if applicable)?

1996 Chrysler Concorde Car Audio Wire Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Pink

Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Red/White

Car Radio Ground Wire: Chassis or Back Strap

Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Orange

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Orange/Red

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Green

Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Red

Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Purple

Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Blue/Red

That should help alot!

First off thats the wiring diagram i tried to use.

These colors are not correct. i have 4 wires coming from each of the speaker harnesses that was connected to my stock speakers. I have an aftermarket head unit that i had installed along with the wires to connect my amp for my subs.

Bypass the amp by running speaker wire straight from your aftermarket deck to your speakers. Sounds to me like you definitely have a premium system and you won't be able to use all four wires you see at the speaker locations.

because you have a premium system, and you have replaced the source and speakers, you are having problems. the wire colors are different because of the premium system.

you need to bypass the factory amp - the foolproof way to do this is run new speaker wires. one option is to find the factory amp and bypass it by matching the input and output wires. this has a lot of risk if you are not 100% confident of the wire colors. obviously you can verify them on the speaker end, and the colors i posted should be between the HU and amp (you can verify at the HU).

run your own wires from the head unit to each speaker and all of your problems will go away.

I'm not really sure how to run my own wires. Where in the head unit should I connect the speaker wires? And is there any special way I should wire them or just a single speaker wire to each speaker. Sorry I've taught myself how to do all that I know and would love to know as much as I can.

And why cant I keep the speakers running through the stock amp? If I dissconected the front 3 1/2's could I just run my 4 aftermarket speakers off of it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Duncan

10+ year member
Duncan
Boynton Beach
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from