How to wire a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub to get a 2 ohm load?

Participant count
  • Participant list

hogger
5,000+ posts

Murray, KY
Ive got a pair of 12" Jl Audio W3 dual voice coile 4 ohm speakers. I lost the sheet that came with them and was curious. How would I wire them to get a 2 ohm load. I think I am going to get a power 550s which gives an RMS of 275x2 at 2 ohms. A little diagram or something would be greatly appreciated!! Thank!!!

Whoa?! Now Ive got even more confused....the amp I am getting says 175x2@4ohms, 275x2@2ohms, and 550x1@4ohms. I want each speaker to get about 275 so how should I wire them?? It seems like every where I go tells me a different thing. Is there a way to wire the subs so that I use two channels, and each channel gets a 2 ohm load?

I think Ive got it, so I should wir3e the pos to the pos and the neg to the neg of one speaker, and then wire that speaker to, we'll say, the left channel, and then wire the pos to the pos and the neg to the neg of the othe speaker and then wire that to the right channel??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.