how to tell what a box is tuned to

Hydrastas
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NE ks
it's got rougly 5.5 ft cubed and 1.96 ft cubed port area, so 7.5 cubed box? not sure how to tell what it's tuned to, oh and i couldn't figure out what size box to make for my american bass dx-15. found info on it but idk wtf Qms/Qts?Qes means, but the numbers are 4.7, .6 ,and .5.

oh and after completing it i sat it next to car in driveway and played put on by jeezy, at one of the later bass hits in the intro i coulda swore i saw rocks jumpin in the driveway. could be that i've been up all night workin on the box but idk. shortly after it sounded like box was gonna blow apart so i shut system off asap and am here lol. can't wait to put it in the car, i gotta pound the shitt outta the frame to make it fit though. i didn't have a level or a straight edge while making the box and it's made out of scrap wood from 3 other diff sub boxes.

heres the box, go ahead and flame if you want lol. it's my first time and i did it from 2-6 am, cost me 1$ or less for the screws and electricity to power saw.

SANY0802.jpg

SANY0804.jpg

and finished product lol

SANY0810.jpg

is the port too big or anything?

oh and after completing it i sat it next to car in driveway and played put on by jeezy, at one of the later bass hits in the intro i coulda swore i saw rocks jumpin in the driveway. could be that i've been up all night workin on the box but idk. shortly after it sounded like box was gonna blow apart so i shut system off asap and am here lol. can't wait to put it in the car, i gotta pound the shitt outta the frame to make it fit though. i didn't have a level or a straight edge while making the box and it's made out of scrap wood from 3 other diff sub boxes.
You better make sure you secure that tail on your car down or its going to blow that thing right off! And make sure you watch out for cops, don't want to be wasting your car audio money on noise ordinance tickets.

Idk though man I might have went with a double baffle if I were you

lol yea, but what would the box be tuned to? and could this hurt my sub, i tried to watch out for the sub moving too much as i was testing it, but had to throw in a lot of liquid nail to make up for the not having a level.

alright 30 min of unloading liquid nail up in that *****, so what does it take to find what a box is tuned to?

i've found some equation for tuning a box, but it's been way too long since math class to figure out how to change it up to be able to find what a box is already tuned to by being randomly made...

what you do is mount the woofer, then use a hose or a bucket and pour water into the port , play a simple test tone from 0-100 hz, when the water comes shooting out of the port, thats what its tuned to... the thing is, it has to be filled up as much as possible to achieve the desired results

its what most dbdrag and iasca people use to determine tuning on walls and oddly shaped boxes

big ass port
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.