How to secure an amp?

JohnPD

CarAudio.com Regular
I just got it installed under the passenger's seat but haven't secured it yet. What's the best way to secure it to the floor? Just drill holes and secure it with screws, or use self-tapping screws right through the floor carpeting into the metal floor?

If it is a smaller amplifier, I have been able to cut away some rectangular portions of the carpet and clean the areas with Alcohol and place Extreme Velcro 75LB pieces on the floor and bottom of the amplifier to hold them down without any issues. Use the Grab side on the floors and the Fuzzy portions on the bottom of the amp so it grabs and stays in place. Other than that you will need to remove the seat and secure with screw hardware and the like. Hope this helps

Sony XM-GS4
Looks like there are 4 corners to get that Extreme velcro to be placed and should work just fine unless you pull the seat. the seat should be just 4 bolts to remove and put back in. That Velcro will hold that amp down just fine. I use in the field as well and have used holding amps,external xovers, passive xovers,wiring,Bazooka Bass tubes,tweeters on the dash and several other things. Can be found 2 H.Depot/Lowes/sometimes even Walmart

Thats a great looking amp. Sony was one of my first amplifiers I ever used an XM 5520. That was one of the most reliable amplifiers I ever used to date
I like it so far, it has a built-in cooling fan, so it ought to stay cool. I was thinking of securing the amp to a board, then using velcro to secure it to the floor. So, you're saying to cut four squares in the carpet, then use the velcro to secure it?

I like it so far, it has a built-in cooling fan, so it ought to stay cool. I was thinking of securing the amp to a board, then using velcro to secure it to the floor. So, you're saying to cut four squares in the carpet, then use the velcro to secure it?
Yes. it will hold very well. You can use two of the Grab portions opposite corners and two of the other and it will hold just fine with exception of a car rollover accident

Looks like a really great amp that should last you for some time. Sony has always made some great amps ,HUs ,Xovers and other items. One of the Best Xovers ever made was by Sony.. an XEC 1000. Still sought for today by many

No need to use a board. You are adding height that isnt needed.that Extreme Velcro 75lb hold is fantastic man. Ive used it on quite a bit of installations and different applications, not to mention, its not that expensive

Heck there is two iirc on DIYMA right now for 150 bucks each shipped. If I didn't have to spend all this damn money on new front brake pads, hoses, bolts and what not before I leave on Vacation in August I would be buying one to have and to add to the collection.

Last edited:
Heck there is two iirc on DIYMA right now for 150 bucks each shipped. If I didn't have to spend all this damn money on new front brake pads, hoses, bolts and what not before I leave on Vacation in August I would be buying to have and to add to the collection.
Man. Temptation is on the rise!! Ill have to look into that!!! I just picked up an Autotek BTS 7300 Blue Badge last week off Old School Stereo For Sale F.Book to add to the collection 👀 👀 :poop:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...