How to power an amp? new guy here

please keep the jokes to a min as this site def. needs some new blood...IF YOU STILL NEED HELP FEEL FREE TO SHOOT ME A MESSAGE AND ILL HELP YOU OUT LATER ON TODAY

All kidding aside, you need to run a power cable from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal on the amp. Make sure you fuse this wire within 18" of the battery. You then need to run a cable from the negative terminal on the amp to a solid point on the car's chassis to complete the circuit.

So how do you usually power a amplifier? I am completely new to this.
Your question can be answered correctly but only if you provide more detailed information such as the make and model of your amplifier and what you plan on powering with it such as speakers or subwoofers and what impedance you plan on running at the the amp (4, 2 or 1-Ohm).

However, just to provide some very basic information:

All amplifiers require you to run a power cable from the battery + terminal (you will need an in-line fuse with in 12-14" of the battery terminal) to the amplifier + input terminal. The power cable and fuse size will depend on the amplifier you are using.

You will need a ground cable of the same gauge as the power cable to be run from the amp - input terminal to the nearest chasis ground point.

Sounds very simple but because you are unsure about the most basic elements of an amplifier installation, I would strongly recommend going to a retail store to have the product installed properly.

Beyond the basic power and ground cables, there will be a dozen other issues that can cause serious problems for your amp and the safety of the vehicle as well if not done properly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.