How to hide screwholes?

Jaredturp
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
PA
I'm building a box to paint and im wondering how to avoid the above problem .... also can i still use a 3/4" roundover if i have screws in it haha? i havent put my bit up to my box so i'm just wondering if anyone has the answer.

i wouldnt try to use a roundover bit on a screw unless you dont mind buying new roundover bits after every box.

if you want to use a roundover bit, put another baffle on top that doesnt have screws on the edge, or build a screwless box.

to cover screws, screw them in deep enough so you can cover the holes with some kind of filler.

countersink the pre-drilled holes deeper than normal and fill in with a woodglue and mdf dust mix.

depending on how close your screws are to the edge where the roundover would be, I wouldn't attempt it.

The correct way is using a countersink bit which will create a hole and when you screw your screw in it will be flush with the box. If you want to round it over just predrill ur holes than round it all over than drill in the screws than cover with woodfiller.

I countersunk those beeeches.. but is a screwless box a decent option? just a ton of woodglue and clamping?

I've done plenty of boxes without screws and just glue. But mainly for boxes that only going to have about 1k going to the subs in it.

I've done plenty of boxes without screws and just glue. But mainly for boxes that only going to have about 1k going to the subs in it.
if done correctly, power should make no difference, screws add virtually zero strength when the glue is fully cured.

if done correctly, power should make no difference, screws add virtually zero strength when the glue is fully cured.
I totally disagree with that. Try redoing your box with just glue and see how it holds up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i wouldnt try to use a roundover bit on a screw unless you dont mind buying new roundover bits after every box.
if you want to use a roundover bit, put another baffle on top that doesnt have screws on the edge, or build a screwless box.

to cover screws, screw them in deep enough so you can cover the holes with some kind of filler.
If you use Carbide Bits your fine... Ive Blown through thousands of screw tops with my Round over bits And there 100% fine...

I totally disagree with that. Try redoing your box with just glue and see how it holds up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
The reality of it is that (im pretty sure) the woodglue is just as strong as the wood, but the issue is that it is more brittle(maybe not the right word) and the screws make it so the glue doesnt crack and shatter? im pretty sure that's it

The reality of it is that (im pretty sure) the woodglue is just as strong as the wood, but the issue is that it is more brittle(maybe not the right word) and the screws make it so the glue doesnt crack and shatter? im pretty sure that's it
Ya just helps keep it bonded. I've herd people blowing there port apart because it was just bonded with glue. Screws of course help. Supergumby is nuts lol I can bet he used screws in his box:)

The correct way is using a countersink bit which will create a hole and when you screw your screw in it will be flush with the box. If you want to round it over just predrill ur holes than round it all over than drill in the screws than cover with woodfiller.
I'm surprised no one thought of this sooner.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jaredturp

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Jaredturp
PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date