How to get rid of tinny sound?

Brokenpath
10+ year member

Hey guys,

I keep switching up and tuning my sound system but I can never seem to get rid of that tinny sound without a subwoofer.

My setup is in my sig, however this also was a problem when i simply had a cheapo pioneer deck with some kicker coaxes.

I can't seem to hear that midrange like I used too.

My system sounds AMAZING when i'm listening to dubstep, electronic music and some hip hop. (Sometimes the vocals can get tinny) listening to dubstep is a real experience.

It's when i want to listen to some good ol rock and roll and shut the subwoofer off that it just seems to be a loud tinny box of treble.

In the cars I used to have with just a stock sound system this didn't seem to be a problem as much, with the volume turned all the way up and the bass turned down and the mids turned to the middle I would actually be able to FEEL the guitar. (Heavily distorted heavy metal) and it would be a crunchy, balanced goodness.

Now, it's like I can hear the music very clearly but the treble can hurt my ears, but when i turn the treble down it still sounds like ***. I have to put the head units equalizer to (Powerful) and turn the volume up only a quarter of the way.

is there something i'm missing here? Maybe it's just a small adjustment that I haven't learned how to do quite yet as i've never run dual amps before.

Start by shutting all deck processing off and set your deck's eq to flat across the specturm and go back and re set your gains on your amps again. then once you do that you can fine tune by using your eq.

Speaker locations may make a difference, and tweek your x-over on the mids/tweets.Every systems x-over points are so sensitive that most people cant really hear what we do, and it may be that you need to find a different location /degree of angle for your mids/tweets to make a difference, or as I have done.. add a 5.25 3 way speaker? Alot of people dont realize what a difference the preamp eq makes to a system and the allowance of versatility to the sound stage it makes , and at your finger tips:D, by turning your sub off, you are missing the portion of the music as well, you are only listening to mids, and tweets..no bass at all???Maybe you may want to add a bass woofer to your front stage as well?? These are the only things that I can recommend to you.Hope ends well:D

Thanks for the replies guys,

@Fish : I always have my EQ flat but I will try again and reset my amp gains/EQ for speakers The only reason i set it to powerful was because it was the only way to get the mids back that i've tried so far.

@papermaker : That's what i was thinking, but i thought the ID's were supposed to be good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. Might be a lack of proper tuning. also, it's a passive component setup so i can't change the xover.

@wenn: I'll try sealing off the door behind the speaker

@audiobaun I'll try and get into that, a few days of google and experimenting should help me understand how to do all that better.

@ wenn and underfighter : The reason I shut the subwoofer off or have it very low is because it doesn't sound natural with the kick drum or some parts of the bass guitar. The kick drum hits really hard and it just kind of shakes away the whole atmosphere away from what it's supposed to sound like and just makes me focus on the bass which is what i listen to dubstep or hip hop for. My sub is also for the most part a one note joke that just wants to be loud which, i really like but only for certain types of music.

@ whitedragon thanks for the reply to the reply.

if it was live, or played in a bar I wouldn't hear the kick drum hit that hard. and i've been trying to recreate that sound with very very futile attempts.

I just don't understand how a stock sound system in an economy car can have better midrange than my system. It isn't anywhere near as clear but it still had the mids right.

Might be tweeter placement, xover point... anything. I'll try all the things you guys mentioned and spend some quality time with my amp.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

what kind of *** listens to dubstep without the bass turned up all the way?
What kind of *** doesn't read correctly.

Me : It's when i want to listen to some good ol rock and roll and shut the subwoofer off that it just seems to be a loud tinny box of treble.

Herpa durka durk durk derky wurpra lurp lurp herka durka lurkah burka durp........hurr hurr hurrrrr lolololololollolol
1321423285705.png

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.