How to function test an amp w/o speakers.

Shelbysguns

I found a local guy selling a rockford 325w amp for $45. The amp is supposed to be working, but the guy has already sold his subs, so how do I test the amp? I think it is still hooked up in his car. Could I use a voltmeter? How would I do so? Thank you for helping a noob.

also play tones with the amp on dc. if you see significant DC voltage on the terminals do not buy it.
If you measure an AC signal with your DMM set to DC, it WILL register a voltage, and that does NOT mean that the amp is outputting DC. This is not good advice.

It would read the average voltage, which is 0.637 times the peak voltage for a steady waveform. AC mode will read the RMS voltage, which is 0.707 times the peak voltage.

However, measuring a DC signal with the DMM on AC mode will register 0 volts if either the output or the DMM itself is capacitively coupled. That doesn't matter for this case, though.

By the way, some amps don't like being run without a load. I wouldn't recommend this test. I'd recommend bringing some sort of sub/speaker with you to test it on, even if low volume.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.