How to fix clipping?

ArcFault
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Canada
Okay on another forums I asked this but the other forum is no longer working for me. So I have a general idea on what clipping is now. Now I just need to now what causes it and how to fix it.

I watched that video and it said something about 5v and 2v. Also, if I get bigger subs will it prevent clipping? So is clipping from the amp or the subs?

What can I ajust to get rid of it? I have an AQ1200D.

did you do the big 3 ??? most of the time clipping is due to voltage dropping or noise in the line i had it happen to me from noise in the line goto ebay and look up noise isolator fixed my problem with a 15 amp one

I did not think I needed the big three if I had an AQ1200D. Where can I look up how to do a proper big three? Should I type it in the search on this site. And I have never heard of the other thing. Are they expensive?

before the big three try the noise isolator from somewhere i would suggest ebay i got mine for like 8 bux quick and easy fix
Alright. Thanks a lot for that. How do they work? What do they do? Also, would better subs change clipping?

did you even read what i said?
I did. But not until after I reposted. I was on ebay looking then asked my question before refreshing. My mistake. Sorry.

Yes, I turned down the gain temporarly. I am just curious to what I would need to do so I can get my gain back up to get my amps full potential. I do appreciate the help all of you have been giving me. I am new.

Thanks.

Clipping is from the amp, sent to the subs. The subs don't cause clipping. Clipping is when the amp is trying to generate more power than it can @ it's voltage, rating, or ohm load.

For instance, if your gains are too high, and the amp is trying to produce more than it can, it'll clip. Which can burn things up.

Also, low voltage causes clipping to occur earlier.

I also, have an AQ1200d. I have an 80a stock alt, but with the help of big 3, and a small reserve low ESR batt in the back, she does just fine.

I did. But not until after I reposted. I was on ebay looking then asked my question before refreshing. My mistake. Sorry.
Yes, I turned down the gain temporarly. I am just curious to what I would need to do so I can get my gain back up to get my amps full potential. I do appreciate the help all of you have been giving me. I am new.

Thanks.
what amp do you have? best option without all this extra b/s in your signal flow is to get a bigger/better amp. that way you have some headroom and can turn the gain down and still have the same power you were looking for but it would be sending a cleaner signal to the subs.

Gains should be sent based off of a DMM reading. It is to match the incoming input voltage. It is NOT a volume adjustment. The higher the gain, the sooner it will clip.

For instance my gain is set a little under half. And Bass Boost is completely off.

what amp do you have? best option without all this extra b/s in your signal flow is to get a bigger/better amp. that way you have some headroom and can turn the gain down and still have the same power you were looking for but it would be sending a cleaner signal to the subs.
If the OP doesn't have the voltage to support an AQ running at full tilt (very possible) then upgrading the amp, without enhancing the charging system that back it, would result in roughlythe same amount of power b4 clipping.

However, if voltage/electrical issues are not the problem, then you would be correct.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.