How to: Fiberglass Door Pods ( Panels ) Complete Video Tutorial with CAF

mklett33
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
MI

In this tutorial write up we will be covering how to create some awesome door panel pods that will add a custom look to your install, allow you to integrate multiple speakers into a door panel, and allow you to control the mounting position of the speakers. Note that while these are in fact door “pods” that are not actually permanently bonded are made as part of the door panel itself, there are many techniques within that could be used if you were in fact planning on creating door “panels” from scratch. Let’s begin!

Note: All videos below are within this playlist on YouTube:

This step is not essential in terms of design, but it is important to have a plan for exactly how the speakers will mount. The last thing we want is to make these amazing door panels and use wood screws to secure the speakers that will become loose with time. Take a look at the fasteners we used here instead.

Tools Needed:

Drill and Bits

Marker

When complete your speakers will be ready to mount securely to your pods.

Step 3: Molding the Door Panel Shape:

We will use body filler to smooth the panel. Duraglass is a high build filler that adds a small amount of strength but will not crack.

Tools Needed:

Spreaders

Rage Gold

Duraglass

With the panels smooth we are nearing completion of the panels!

Step 6: Finishing with Vinyl and Suede

Painting is a whole other tutorial, in this case we will be using vinyl and suede to finalize things. Take your time here and use the skills shown in the video for some tricks to avoid wrinkles.

Tools Needed:

Vinyl

Suede

Wax Paper

Contact Glue

Knife

Heat Gun

Sunshine

The panels are almost done!

Completion:

With the mounting of your speakers and securing the door pods to the door panels you are done! Enjoy these pictures!

I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial, I had a lot of fun making these videos and I hope they help you learn a thing or two! If you have a YouTube account I would love to have you as a subscriber so that as I continue to make videos you can see them! Thanks for reading! 

Mark

Lack of comments makes me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

I loved the tutorial. I have u on saved youtube and I must say uve givin me the inspiration to build pods for my same chevy doors although I will stayin inside the original speaker placement recessed area. Thanks for what u do man!

I loved the tutorial. I have u on saved youtube and I must say uve givin me the inspiration to build pods for my same chevy doors although I will stayin inside the original speaker placement recessed area. Thanks for what u do man!
No problem, thank you for posting!

Mods: Please consider moving to reference database! I don't see it getting much attention here as most come to this section for box design.

I watched them. Thank you for your effort.

Is there any sound advantage to reverse mounting ? Any sound advantage to the 45* bevel (horn) around the woofers and tweeters ? How does it sound ?

It's helpful that you tell us the products that you use. When I saw you mixing bondo, I thought, "that's taking too long, it's going to harden on him", but the Rage Gold did not.

Could you make a video teaching how to make grills ? In particular, metal mesh grills in odd shapes ? Could you look at my thread in this forum and suggest ways I could give my kick panels a nicer apperance ?

I somehow stumbled across this thread and figured this post was from years ago then saw the post date of only 2 weeks ago!

Thanks for the awesome video, Im sure it will help me with my first fiberglass project

I somehow stumbled across this thread and figured this post was from years ago then saw the post date of only 2 weeks ago!
Thanks for the awesome video, Im sure it will help me with my first fiberglass project
Glad to hear it and I am glad you liked it, I am hoping a mod will notice it and consider moving to the "reference database" Section. I spent a lot of time with the videos and stuff and would like people to learn this, hate to see it get burried under box design requests! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.