How to estimate SPL without a meter?

RSDXzec
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Australia
Just curious if anyone here has a way of telling approx what kind of db they're getting without a meter? I don't have one or know anyone that does and I don't have the cash to buy one. I found this a few days ago Decibel Equivalent Table (whats how loud) | Decibel Car Audio the SPL Knowledgebase which says at 132db eardrum vibration is notable so that tells me I've passed that and should be somewhere in the 30's imo. I'm only on 3 12"s ported at 400rms in a hatchback. Getting a new battery soon so I'll be pushing over 1k and I'd like some way of knowing approx what i'm spl hitting once i do so. From that table I'll know I've hit 140 once my throat starts vibrating. I havent heard a system louder than my own so I can't base it on experience either.

Cheers.

You can try to guess it, but that is about it. Even a 150 in one vehicle can sound louder to the ear than 150 in another, it depends on too many factors.

that website is retarded and inaccurate.
agreed

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

130 with make your nose hairs vibrate, 140 will make your eardrums vibrate, 150 will make you cream your pants.... hows that?

no. your ears are not accurate instruments and loudness is relative. your ear bones will physically separate to attenuate extended loud exposure.

not only is a mic or TL the only way to measure sound pressure level in dB, mic selection is critical because mics are sensitive and don't like to be mis-treated with loud exposure (which is why we went to TL in dB comps)

If you have an Iphone, you can get the JL audio app and it will give a pretty good idea of actual spl reading. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wave.gif.002382ce7d7c19757ab945cc69819de1.gif

If you have an Iphone, you can get the JL audio app and it will give a pretty good idea of actual spl reading. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wave.gif.002382ce7d7c19757ab945cc69819de1.gif
No no it wont lol...u might as well get a scosche boomstock from walmart ..goes all the way up to 130 dbs lol

i have the curve of the mic response for the iphone (all gen) if anyone wants. basically, anything below 150Hz is useless on the RTA. they use a sharp 24dB/oct filter on the mic to reduce wind noise effects. first gen iphone didn't. 2nd gen and later did, with different slopes.

what you CAN do with an iphone, ipad, or ipod touch is get this:

iAudioInterface2 | Studio Six Digital

iai2_withinset_med.png

and run AudioTools.

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools/

fft_med.png

photo_3-2_med.png

photo_4_med.png

then you have a high quality and accurate acoustical measurement system. but you're spending several hundred dollars.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.