How to ebayer's sell amps/subs brand new for half the price?

10+ year member

IN
I was curious, there are tons of amps/subs brand new on sites like amazon or ebay for only half the price of every major retailer out there. i got most all of my equipment except HU and fronts off ebay and their great. ...but how are they doing it exactly? and how do sites like Crutchfield able to compete with them?

buying in bulk i would assume has its advantages.. and you make the same money selling twice the merchandise for half the profit,.... volume..

ah, of course, shoudl have thought of that. thanks.

i thought maybe there was some inside shady stuff goin on

but sure other merchants feel the hit? crutfhfield seem to go on strong.

eBay used to be a lot better until all the companies started selling stuff on their and thus rising all the prices.

To the OP: A lot of those products are refurbs. Not bad if they let you know up front. Rockford used to have a store called Desert Audio; I brought a T10001BD for $210 shipped (new birthsheet) and a T110D4 for $80.

ebay is now mostly online sites that sell the stuff. they just advertise it on ebay. These online sites are dealers for equipment. so something that would cost us $100 brand new would cost them $50 and they will sell it for $75 and make a $25 profit, not hard to do

A lot of the Ebay stores arent authorised dealers, so they can make up their own prices. Its cheaper, but you dont get any warranty from the company. If you are going to buy something, and want the warranty, call the company that makes the product to see if that store is authorised, or if they will warranty stuff thats not from an authorised dealers. Some companies like Sundown will only warranty it if bought from an authorised dealer. Others like Cadence dont really care.

ah, of course, shoudl have thought of that. thanks.i thought maybe there was some inside shady stuff goin on

but sure other merchants feel the hit? crutfhfield seem to go on strong.
crutchfield has the whole beginner market who have not discovered the other online places like sonic, woofersetc... crutchfield comes up before them and other places always in my google searches. Their site instills confidence and is tempting for people overwhelmed with choices wince they offer great customer service and free install accessories. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Along with the help and warranties at Crutchfield you also get free install instructions or wiring/dash kits with a HU. You can do that on eBay.
yeah, MSRP of my MTX Elite 1501d ($799).

On ebay for less than that amp alone, i got the same Elite 1501d amp unopened ($399), 25 feet of 1/0 guage copper Power wire,($39) a refurbished MTX xthunder 300 watt amp ($69 from Tigerdirect.com) 2 pure copper 1/0ga terminals ($4.00) and went to local shop and got a Pioneer HU ($199) retail....all except for the xthunder amp was brand new in retail packaging.

i don't quite think Crutchfield's copy and stapled install instructions and wiring/dash kits together can top that deal. That's kinda why i can't figure out how they get by selling for that much, i mean i assume they buy in bulk too and yeah they have good support which costs $$ but Google is free. Crutchfields warrantee of course is likely the big thing. i never had much in the way of issues with such stuff but i can see that being important for some. guess i've been lucky so far. I've had a few other subs and amps from ebay too, still work to this day in use by friends

They must make a killing profit off each item they sell. I'm in the wrong business :p

I've dealt with crutchfield warranty issues enough to direct anyone I'm installing for to buy from there on *most* occasions. My last round was a BA passive crossover that was missing a jumper and one of the inductors was coming unglued. They sent another full comp. set and paid for the return shipping of the defective unit. If it weren't for their return/warranty policies I would have had to eaten the cost of the components as they were bought upon my recommendation.

Are there cheaper sellers available? Yes

Are there cheaper items that last? Yes

Do I want to gamble with someone's money? No thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.