How to draw a simple box in SketchUp

JBLCAMRY
10+ year member

KCB
239, Florida
Ok, this is going to be a quick how to, using sketchup. This not a tuned box, it is just for demonstration sake.

Start off by measuring out your bottom piece of the box, and drawing it out.

s1.png

Now that you have the bottom of the box measured and drawn, use the push/pull tool to pull it to the desired wood thickness. (Usually 3/4")

s2.png

Now take your measuring tape, and click on the edge of each side and pull in 3/4" (or wood thickness)

s3.png

Now draw lines with the guides still there, and then erase the guides

s4.png

On this example I used a 3" wide vent, so take the tape measure again and measure 3" in from the inside of the walls, on the side and back. Then from those lines measure out another 3/4" with the measuring tape.

s5.png

Then erase the piece in the front of the port and the guides.

s6.png

Next is the 45 in the port, start out buy measuring from the corner to the interior edge and then measure 3" from the corner. (The little dot)

s7.png

From that point, drag a square to the edge. And draw a line through the middle. Then from the edge of the square across till it turns a pink color (idk I’m colorblind)

s8.png

Now erase the square and the guides, so there is only this left.

s9.png

Measure from the middle of that 45, out 3/4" like this

s10.png

Then draw a line and erase the guide, leaving you with this.

s11.png

Now you have your layout finished for the box.

s12.png

now you start to pull up all of the pieces of the box,

s13.png

s14.png

s15.png

s16.png

s17.png

noe that all of the pices are up, you need to draw the lines that seperate them. like so...

s18.png

s19.png

s20.png

s21.png

s22.png

s23.png

now you have an almost complete box.

s24.png

next is how i do the top. i draw a line 3/4" up on the corner, then i draw a line the depth of the box, then back down 3/4". leaving this........

s25.png

now pull it accross.

s26.png

s27.png

now is time for the hole cutout, first you want to find out where you want to but it, use the guides to do this. for this box, i pulled from the edge 14". then drew and X using the guides.

s28.png

now draw the circle (this one is 5 1/2" radius) so there is an 11" cutout.

s29.png

now use you push pull tool and push in 3/4" and let go. you will be left with this...

s30.png

now erase the guides and your done, you have a finished drawing using sketchup

s31.png

hope this helps.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thanks a ton for this I been messing with it for a couple days now with no success.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I don't like using the guides and find it easier to just let it use the auto length that sets to your last typed in dimension length.

PV's was better but I'm sure people will still benefit from this.

Finally got it, LOL

Now just one last question how do you make the boards transparent so you can see the inside of the enclosure ?

Thanks again for this !

EDIT- Nevermind I found it use the x-ray view.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.