How to determine in phase vs. out of phase

Assuming the mids /highs are where they should be the phasing WILL match speaker polarity though for a typical installation. That is my original point. you will have coherent push towards the driver with all speakers hooked to matched polarities, hence a batt will do the trick.

For electrical phase maybe, but not for acoustical phase. Phase is an interesting beast. Ever sat in a car for a demo, the tonality is nice, but the stage is all over the place and hard to pinpoint? No matter what you do the voices sound diffused and a single singer is coming from multiple locations? The system may be in electrical phase, but not acoustical phase. I set phase by breaking out the good old autosound 2000 test disc with the " my voice is in phase, my voice is out of phase" track and listen. Once you get your system in acoustical phase, the staging sharpens dramatically. It will be much more focused. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Assuming the mids /highs are where they should be the phasing WILL match speaker polarity though for a typical installation. That is my original point. you will have coherent push towards the driver with all speakers hooked to matched polarities, hence a batt will do the trick.
Unless your speakers are all equidistant to your ears, they are out of phase with each other in relation to the listener. Unless you take steps to alter phase to accommodate (time alignment or phase adj controls). I believe you are confusing relative phase with absolute phase.

Unless your speakers are all equidistant to your ears, they are out of phase with each other in relation to the listener. Unless you take steps to alter phase to accommodate (time alignment or phase adj controls). I believe you are confusing relative phase with absolute phase.

Don't leave out all speakers would need to be completely on axis , as phase will change with different angles as well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.