How to cut double baffle with a jig saw

Participant count
  • Participant list

jdawg90
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
alberta
So basically I have all of my box together but the 2nd baffle and top. Holes are cut in the first baffle and it is screwed and glued. I made the hole about 1/4" larger than it needs to be incase the holes don't line up perfect. What's the best way to cut the holes for the second baffle I'm gonna be putting on top?

Was thinking of just screwing it on with a couple screws, tracing the hole through the inside with a pencil, and taking it off and cutting. Thing is my holes aren't perfect so the circle wouldn't be perfect either. Figured I'd see if anyone else has any better ideas.

Use a compass to draw a circle with the correct radius that you need for the cutout

I usually just glue two pieces of wood together, then cut the holes for the double baffle at the same time.

I usually cut them together as well, makes it much easier.

But, just cut it like you did the first one, but making it the right size. I usually make mine like a 1/16" or 1/32" (if you can measure that small with your tools) and sand out the spots I need to make bigger. If you don't have a compass, mark the center of the cutout and put in a screw or nail then attach tight rope or wire to it and draw a circle!

I did this with my current 4 10's box.

Key thing is go slow....do not hurry and make multiple passes. With my router of course.

(Can't stand the fact that this world is in too much of a hurry because we're taught this. Happens at home too and wind up with something bad may happen)

Key thing is go slow....do not hurry and make multiple passes. With my router of course. Take 2 small short screws in the middle of the circle and screw them down. This will prevent movement of either during cutting.

(Can't stand the fact that this world is in too much of a hurry because we're taught this. Happens at home too and wind up with something bad may happen)

Why did you cut the mounting holes in 1 baffle but not both?? To me, that would mess things up. Now you gotta worry about the mounting holes being perfect for the subs to fit.

Key thing is go slow....do not hurry and make multiple passes. With my router of course. Take 2 small short screws in the middle of the circle and screw them down. This will prevent movement of either during cutting.

Why did you cut the mounting holes in 1 baffle but not both?? To me, that would mess things up. Now you gotta worry about the mounting holes being perfect for the subs to fit.
my jigsaw barely cuts through one layer of mdf let alone two. I made the bottom hole `~1/4" larger for that reason.

I use a router and always do each piece before gluing it all together just in case something goes wrong. Cutting through 1.5" with a jigsaw would be awful, I would not attempt it.

I use a router and always do each piece before gluing it all together just in case something goes wrong. Cutting through 1.5" with a jigsaw would be awful, I would not attempt it.
I cut through both layers after they're glued. Actually does not feel different than one layer

Find the center of the hole on the first piece. Transfer that mark to the second piece. Set the compass to the radius of the sub cutout. Mark It. Cut it out.

Why is that hard?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.