How much system wattage before running into battery problems?

Participant count
  • Participant list

neonblack
10+ year member

Devon PA
At what power limit would you start to drain your battery too much (eg. standard car, standard alternator, etc.)? I have 4 ADC components (each 100W) and have 2 8" subs (each 150W) and may be looking to upgrade my subs to 10" x 2. My total system could easily reach 1000W total. 1000W could drain the battery pretty quickly I suppose? (I don't run the stereo a great deal these days though.)

every car is different but 1000watts rms is around where most cars start needing electrical upgrades such as big 3, upgraded batt and such. but like i said every car differs

At what power limit would you start to drain your battery too much (eg. standard car, standard alternator, etc.)? I have 4 ADC components (each 100W) and have 2 8" subs (each 150W) and may be looking to upgrade my subs to 10" x 2. My total system could easily reach 1000W total. 1000W could drain the battery pretty quickly I suppose? (I don't run the stereo a great deal these days though.)
1500 Max **** kills my car on some notes and its got a 100 amp alt. 1000 amp battery and like 700 cranking amps

Btw let us know your budget before you go buying stuff if you don't know whats good and whats not and we'll help you get the most out of your money.

Yes, I see that 10" subs are scarce at 150W-200W range. I suppose they need more power to drive them than 8" subs. If I upgraded to 10" x 2 subs that would put my battery in jeopardy I think and I don't want to mess with that. I did try the Big 3 upgrade about 6 yrs ago and my battery went dead within a month. I'm sure I wired it correctly according to tutorials. I have 8" x 2 Kicker subs (in separate fiberglass sealed enclosures) and Kenwood 7201 amp (150W @ 4 ohms, 2-channel) to power them. The subs are subtle and not as deep as I would like. Thanks for feedback.

How much upgrading do people do to their car's electrical system to drive 600W-1000W subs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I see that 10" subs are scarce at 150W-200W range. I suppose they need more power to drive them than 8" subs. If I upgraded to 10" x 2 subs that would put my battery in jeopardy I think and I don't want to mess with that. I did try the Big 3 upgrade about 6 yrs ago and my battery went dead within a month. I'm sure I wired it correctly according to tutorials. I have 8" x 2 Kicker subs (in separate fiberglass sealed enclosures) and Kenwood 7201 amp (150W @ 4 ohms, 2-channel) to power them. The subs are subtle and not as deep as I would like. Thanks for feedback.
How much upgrading do people do to their car's electrical system to drive 600W-1000W subs?
How many amps is your alternator and battery? And you could probably do it for 200-300 dollars for a decent battery and alt but you may just need a better battery.

i have four agm batterys in there totaling 410 amp hours - i dont drop below 13 currently with ddm3a - but when atomic 5k goes in idk if thats enough... might be time to think about adding alternator #2

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.