how much should i pay for a custom box to be built?

im limited on space.i currently have a 12 incher i would love to use but the builder said that it would need a certain dimension that i do not want at the moment. so just something nice, loud, clean, that has a very small foot print.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

what questions should i ask?
hmm..you have this 12" in a sealed enclosure? PR will probably be your best bet in that case.

People are suggesting a larger sub because a 8" sub in a bandpass will most likely take up around the same space as a ported 10". Basically, you will have better output and take up the same amount, or less space with a larger subwoofer. A 4th order is not a good option for space saving. You could probably do 2 8s in an aeroported enclosure in roughly the same airspace as the 4th order.

actually the order of requirement is that i want a bandpass. i just need the smallest version of a band pass. i dont neet the smallest box for a larger subwoofer.

As for our pricing, typically for BP applications I put a bit of time in it for free to get a "rough" idea on the design then offer out a quote. That way we are all on the same page and expect the same results and look.
...how much again?

...how much again?
I would need more information and then I would have to put some time into a rough design in order to offer a price for the work. It is not as easy as just tossing out numbers do to the vast number of factors. Some BP enclosures are fairly simple to build while others are more difficult and require more time for assembly.

hmm..you have this 12" in a sealed enclosure? PR will probably be your best bet in that case.
have you considered a 6th order compound loaded enclosure?
Just curious, being set on an 8" what kind of car/truck is this going in? Im thinking there are 10's that definately get down and dirty with limited airpace.
This is not a good idea for the SA8. Isobaric loading allows you to use a box half the size of just one sub, but you don't gain any spl by doing so. And the box is so small with just one driver in it that it might not fit.
FWIW Ported is smaller than any band pass box for the sa8. And a 4th order bp will have less output. You can get more output with a 6th order bp, but it is bigger (1.2cf in my model) And now you can use a SA-12 in a box about the same size and get the same spl and more head room.
People are suggesting a larger sub because a 8" sub in a bandpass will most likely take up around the same space as a ported 10". Basically, you will have better output and take up the same amount, or less space with a larger subwoofer. A 4th order is not a good option for space saving. You could probably do 2 8s in an aeroported enclosure in roughly the same airspace as the 4th order.
I guess I missed the part where OP has asked for a box designed around the sa 8...hmm..Obviously you see the smaller footprint advantage of the 4th order bandpass isobaric loading, which can be done with 2 8" subs that are cheaper in cost combined than the sa 8 without loss in sq.
around my neck of the woods, they charge in the $220-$250 range for a dual 12 slot ported box

hey thanks guys for the reply but..

there seems to be some confusion . the order of requirement is in the wrong direction. im looking for a bandpass this time for my box. but i would like it be the smallest version of a bandpass. i dont want a sealed or just a ported version. i would like to try out a bandpass this time.

kinda of like when a person wants to eat ribs but everyone keeps saying to eat steak, eat steak its better just put some bbq sauce on it, or eat chicken and put bbq sauce on it, but my preference is that i want ribs this time around.

....again what price should i be paying for such a small job?

To give you an idea on size, here is a 10" enclosure we did for a client some time ago.

sabandpass.png

If the OP does not need my post what did it hurt? it might not be relevant to you but might be relevant to others, for example if somebody can build me a custom box for 2 15"s slot ported $140, bandpass box for an 8" does not require that much material compared to a slot vent ported dual 15s. probably more work needs to be done on bandpass, but at least he can weight it. less material more work etc..

hey thanks guys for the reply but..there seems to be some confusion . the order of requirement is in the wrong direction. im looking for a bandpass this time for my box. but i would like it be the smallest version of a bandpass. i dont want a sealed or just a ported version. i would like to try out a bandpass this time.

kinda of like when a person wants to eat ribs but everyone keeps saying to eat steak, eat steak its better just put some bbq sauce on it, or eat chicken and put bbq sauce on it, but my preference is that i want ribs this time around.

....again what price should i be paying for such a small job?
lol...aside from the suggestion of doing the PR design with the sub you wished to use, every suggestion I have made has been towards the most compact bandpass design. The issue is finding the driver(s) suited best for the box design you choose.

If the OP does not need my post what did it hurt? it might not be relevant to you but might be relevant to others, for example if somebody can build me a custom box for 2 15"s slot ported $140, bandpass box for an 8" does not require that much material compared to a slot vent ported dual 15s. probably more work needs to be done on bandpass, but at least he can weight it. less material more work etc..
Actually with out knowing more about your enclosure and build pictures of the enclosure it is not very relevant at all. Not being rude there, just honest.

Also, a slot port enclosure of any size has no bearing against a BP setup. Again not being rude..just honest.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.