how much should i pay for a custom box to be built?

i was watching a youtube video that said the smaller woofers sould like they are punchy and the bigger sizes are boomy. if this is true can i compensate with a lower freq?

Price will change and is more subject to who is building it. Some times the cheaper the price there is a reason. In most cases you do get what you pay for, but in some cases like shops that is not the case. They will over charge you many times and still not get the results you want. Some shops do a great job though....
So to be honest, it is a roll of the dice. Our prices are pretty standard, but we don't list band pass pricing as those prices can change with a simple alteration of how the port is setup...simply to many variables to consider when shopping for enclosures.
so what would you charge for something like this with maybe rounded edges and carpeting. estimate is ok too. (4th order) and maybe (6th order). just curious what it would run on either cost.

Did you get it wrapped in in vinyl,routered edges and for the sub to fit flush??If so GREAT DEAL!!
i didnt have them do it i made it my self cheaper but yeah thats the price they would do that all for but for some reason you want a jl w7 13 box then they want 300 or so for it wtf lol

im not familar with 6th order boxes. what is the sound difference? what will i gain or lose from this version?
You were wanting the most output from a bandpass type box. I should have said "Isobaric 4th order series tuned bandpass" The isobaric loaded 4th order bandpass has 2 subs that are mounted face to face on either side if the internal baffle. One sub is wired out of phase with the other, as one cone moves outward, the other moves inward. Essentially creating a box that handles twice the power and 2 drivers doing the work of one sharing the same airspace.

isobandpass.gif

Just curious, being set on an 8" what kind of car/truck is this going in? Im thinking there are 10's that definately get down and dirty with limited airpace.

You were wanting the most output from a bandpass type box. I should have said "Isobaric 4th order series tuned bandpass" The isobaric loaded 4th order bandpass has 2 subs that are mounted face to face on either side if the internal baffle. One sub is wired out of phase with the other, as one cone moves outward, the other moves inward. Essentially creating a box that handles twice the power and 2 drivers doing the work of one sharing the same airspace.
isobandpass.gif
This is not a good idea for the SA8. Isobaric loading allows you to use a box half the size of just one sub, but you don't gain any spl by doing so. And the box is so small with just one driver in it that it might not fit.

FWIW Ported is smaller than any band pass box for the sa8. And a 4th order bp will have less output. You can get more output with a 6th order bp, but it is bigger (1.2cf in my model) And now you can use a SA-12 in a box about the same size and get the same spl and more head room.

not looking for bigger guys. just looking to see what i need to pay for an 8" inch band pass box. quality and built right for a specific speaker. ... and looks good too, simple look.

no special painting, no special designs, no extra swirlies squirrelies, no wierd shapes, no "lets bump up the sizs to a 10 inch, 12 inch or 15 inch" , etc.

just pricing on a carpeted box that looks like it was made with quality and sounds amazing.

This is not a good idea for the SA8. Isobaric loading allows you to use a box half the size of just one sub, but you don't gain any spl by doing so. And the box is so small with just one driver in it that it might not fit.
FWIW Ported is smaller than any band pass box for the sa8. And a 4th order bp will have less output. You can get more output with a 6th order bp, but it is bigger (1.2cf in my model) And now you can use a SA-12 in a box about the same size and get the same spl and more head room.
thanks for explaining that. so i would need to get a second sub to make that order work. well i guess not then because i want to just make a single sub work like it has never worked before. a single 8 inch sub would just be perfect for me

not looking for bigger guys. just looking to see what i need to pay for an 8" inch band pass box. quality and built right for a specific speaker. ... and looks good too, simple look.
no special painting, no special designs, no extra swirlies squirrelies, no wierd shapes, no "lets bump up the sizs to a 10 inch, 12 inch or 15 inch" , etc.

just pricing on a carpeted box that looks like it was made with quality and sounds amazing.
People are suggesting a larger sub because a 8" sub in a bandpass will most likely take up around the same space as a ported 10". Basically, you will have better output and take up the same amount, or less space with a larger subwoofer. A 4th order is not a good option for space saving. You could probably do 2 8s in an aeroported enclosure in roughly the same airspace as the 4th order.

a custom box sound be tuned to your music taste and to your cars cabin gain.... but in alot of cases, you get what u pay for!! keep that in mind....

I guess I missed the part where OP has asked for a box designed around the sa 8...hmm..

Obviously you see the smaller footprint advantage of the 4th order bandpass isobaric loading, which can be done with 2 8" subs that are cheaper in cost combined than the sa 8 without loss in sq.

Last edited by a moderator:
a custom box sound be tuned to your music taste and to your cars cabin gain.... but in alot of cases, you get what u pay for!! keep that in mind....
This is very true. Very few builders/designers ever take anything other then... "this will work" into consideration when building and designing your enclosure. Now remember it will work..but there is more then likely a better or more efficient way of getting it done. In other words, you are more then likely not getting your maximum performance out of that application.

As for our pricing, typically for BP applications I put a bit of time in it for free to get a "rough" idea on the design then offer out a quote. That way we are all on the same page and expect the same results and look.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.