How much power without electrical upgrades?

walkychalky
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I just got a 2009 Maxima and for now I just want to add a sub because i miss the low end. Anyone know how much power I would be safe to use for powering a sub with having to upgrade my electrical? A ballpark figure if anyone has any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Honestly if you just want some bass, it doesn't take much to achieve that. Depending on how loud you want it of course. But I've been perfectly happy with the output of my bass on only 500 watts for a very long time.

ill throw up wut i had at one point.

Believe stock alt in my vehicle is 130 but not 100%. Using walmart battery alone, Big 3 NOT done, just the 2 runs of 8 gauge it came with stock, all 0 gauge wiring to the amp and ground (used KLMX so not best 0 gauge either) with a 2 farad capacitor (mainly for the volt meter whether thats accurate or not) and on 1k watts I was sitting around 14.4-5 volts and when full tilt id drop to around low 12s but never below 12.

So i think with big 3 done and all 0 gauge wiring you could pull off around 1k watts safely easy, and with a upgraded main batt i think 1500 ish would be possible.

Honestly if you just want some bass, it doesn't take much to achieve that. Depending on how loud you want it of course. But I've been perfectly happy with the output of my bass on only 500 watts for a very long time.
yeah i'm not really looking to get really loud. I was thinking doing something on 500 rms with the right sub would be fine. It looks like i should be able to hand le that much power then??

Take in to consideration you never see a constant power rating on music.

You may only be using 25% of what you think you are... This is caused by a lot of things.

yeah i'm not really looking to get really loud. I was thinking doing something on 500 rms with the right sub would be fine. It looks like i should be able to hand le that much power then??
Your car can handle a 500 watt amp on your stock electrical system.

Sounds like your fine:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.