how much is too much

Originally posted by Julio I have a rockford fosgate bd1000.1 amp and 2 L7 12 in. woofers, and I was wanting to put in (3) 1 Farad Capacitors. The question im asking is that too many caps or what. can you even have to many caps
no it does hurt to have too much capacitance BUT it isn't cost effective

How bad do your lights dim, if they do? You will probably only need one, unless you are the kinda guy that doesn't believe in too much. If one cap doesnt help, try a new high-output alternator. Readily available at your local stereo shop (usually have to order it, though). One farad per 500 watts is what I go by, but I'm not running a cap right now. I've got a JL 500/1 on two subs and my lights get quite dim. Also think of looking into another (multiple) batteries. This can help, too. Good luck.

Originally posted by SoLoItHz Also think of looking into another (multiple) batteries. This can help, too. Good luck.
more batteries = more load on the alternator-------- bad idea....they don't help when the car is runing

Originally posted by rco8786 umm ok would you like to back that up?
sure! ----- but please explain in detail why you think a new alternator is need. It's just one amp and I don't think he plays test tones all day

If your electrical system is under a serious strain, a cap is nothing more than a band-aid on a headshot. Not gonna help ****. If this is the case, a new battery/alternator combo is the only way to help it, short of redoing all of your car's wiring.

Now, if your elec. system is pretty well okie dokie while playing regular music you listen to daily, a cap can do no harm. A cap will store batt. power and send it out when the amp needs it. And yes, 3.0 fareds on a 1000 watt amp is overkill. 1.0 should be enough, but you can go 1.5 or even 2.0 if you are paranoid/upgrading later.

Originally posted by IowaBoomer If your electrical system is under a serious strain, a cap is nothing more than a band-aid on a headshot. Not gonna help ****. If this is the case, a new battery/alternator combo is the only way to help it, short of redoing all of your car's wiring.

Now, if your elec. system is pretty well okie dokie while playing regular music you listen to daily, a cap can do no harm. A cap will store batt. power and send it out when the amp needs it. And yes, 3.0 fareds on a 1000 watt amp is overkill. 1.0 should be enough, but you can go 1.5 or even 2.0 if you are paranoid/upgrading later.
well first---- a cap will always help with the peak load no matter the state of the charging system-----that's cause it is a cap. Batteries DON'T help with load when the car is runing. Alternator & batteries are slow creatures to respond to a load ----let alone it be a high speed switching load. -------

ya, but as said before he's only running one amp. he's not going to need 3 caps to provide his peak power. a nice alternator/deep cycle battery would suit that much better. and i dont think i need to repeat why as it has already been posted

Originally posted by rco8786 ya, but as said before he's only running one amp. he's not going to need 3 caps to provide his peak power. a nice alternator/deep cycle battery would suit that much better. and i dont think i need to repeat why as it has already been posted
please explain how a battery can help with ---------any -------load when the car is running? Explain how a battery & alt replacement is " better " Im not saying 3 caps needed but .... How is getting and HO alternator($$$$) & and a new battery($$$$$) more cost effective then some cheap capacitance?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.