How many watts should my amp be if...

depending on how u wire it and if u wanna push it to its full potential, alot of different amps can do the job, i'd recommend the jl 1000/1 when it comes out or a fosgate 1000.1 and wire ur subs down to 2 ohms.

well if you plan to use a 2 channel amp the 4 ohms will be fine

but if you are gonna use the jl 1000.1 or the rf 1000.1 those amps are usually 2ohm stable

therefore you will have to wire the two subs in parallel...which will give you a total resistance of 2ohms

there is a simple formula to work it out :

let R be the resistance (ohms) of the subs

R1 will be the resistance after u hook them up in parallel

1/R + 1/R + .... = 1/R1 (correct me if am wrong someone)

then to get the final value...you invert the answer...which will be in this case R1

get it ?

your case

1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2

which is 2 ohms !

With a sealed enclosure your subs will perform best with more power than they're rated for. If I were you I'd be shooting for something in the neighborhood of 500 watts/sub.

Needing that kind of power I think a class D sub amp would be your best bet. Just do some spec shopping. You need 1000-1200 watts rms at 2 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.