how many layers of sound deadener?

I've read around a lot about sound deadening and a lot of ppl say the first layer is the most important, and you can get to a point of diminishing returns, so its pretty vehicle dependant, but...

When I talked to Rick at Raammat he told me that one layer on places that are sturdy, like corners and such, should be enough, and then large sheets of mettle that or more prone to flex, 2 or even 3 layers would be better.

Hit and tap on places in the car that are deadened and try to judge what needs more and what is ok, if you get a solid thud sound it should be ok, you will be able to tell what areas need a little more and which ones are solid. Hope this helps.

Use as much as you can afford. Sounddeading is really the most important part in car audio. Roadnoise and sheet metal are the main reason true audio purist will not put audio in their car. The more mat you have in your car the more noise that is kept out. It also seals the door up better so you get a better overall sound of our your speakers if they are in stock location, as well as reduces the amount of cancelation that may occur from sheet metal vibrating with the sound waves..

With Vibration damping, the more the better.

As pointed out, there is a point of deminishing returns.

1 Layer of constraint layer damping mat @ .5 lbs. psi is can yield an ALF of .10 or so.

Adding a second layer of mat will crank the ALF up to about .27 or so

a 3rd layer will get you up to about .33 then .36 and so forth.

So 2 or 3 layers is ideal depending on the budget.

The more a product weighs and the thicker it is the more it will dampen vibrations too. so a 45 mil product weighing .35 lbs. psi will only yield a .06 rating..

The strength of the foil and the viscosity of the adhesive layer all contribute to the range of frequencies that will be most reduced with the product.

The more firm the adhesive the lower the frequencies will be killed.

Softer butyl or asphalt will dampen high range noise.

Hope that helps

ANT

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

With Vibration damping, the more the better.As pointed out, there is a point of deminishing returns.

1 Layer of constraint layer damping mat @ .5 lbs. psi is can yield an ALF of .10 or so.

Adding a second layer of mat will crank the ALF up to about .27 or so

a 3rd layer will get you up to about .33 then .36 and so forth.

So 2 or 3 layers is ideal depending on the budget.

The more a product weighs and the thicker it is the more it will dampen vibrations too. so a 45 mil product weighing .35 lbs. psi will only yield a .06 rating..

The strength of the foil and the viscosity of the adhesive layer all contribute to the range of frequencies that will be most reduced with the product.

The more firm the adhesive the lower the frequencies will be killed.

Softer butyl or asphalt will dampen high range noise.

Hope that helps

ANT

I am thinking about doing my floors, doors and trunk with Spectrum. How many coats is recommended to get the equivalent of a couple layers of mat.??

For the majority of water based sound deadening like Spectrum you need to do at least the same thickness as mat to get the same reuslts as mats. I prefer to add a little more in order to make up for the lack of foil that the mats have..

How thick each layer is depends on how thick the coat you put on. If you use a brush, 1 layer can be about 20 mils or so on a flat surface. Upside down it might only be 10 or so.

40 mils is equal to 1 mm.

If you spray it on, you can do about 20 wet mils at a time.

Once the color changes from blue to black (or dark grey) you can add another layer.

Hope that helps

ANT

For the majority of water based sound deadening like Spectrum you need to do at least the same thickness as mat to get the same reuslts as mats. I prefer to add a little more in order to make up for the lack of foil that the mats have..
How thick each layer is depends on how thick the coat you put on. If you use a brush, 1 layer can be about 20 mils or so on a flat surface. Upside down it might only be 10 or so.

40 mils is equal to 1 mm.

If you spray it on, you can do about 20 wet mils at a time.

Once the color changes from blue to black (or dark grey) you can add another layer.

Hope that helps

ANT

Yes it does, thanks. Now I just need to wait til I get some warm weather (spring) so I can get started. Too bad I don't have an indoor facility I can do this in.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...