How high can a 12 go?

CBRworm
10+ year member

I have an IDQ12 in a 1cf sealed box in the trunk, it has no punch at all, but plenty of bass below about 60hz.

In my last car I had an Infinity Perfect 10VQ which was between the front seats firing down in a .6 cuft sealed box. It hit hard and went plenty low for my music (mostly techno). My only complaint with it was that if I wasn't careful I would kill the speaker. Either I would blow out the surround or melt the voice coils. The speaker was rated for like 1400 watts - more than double what I had. but the sound was perfect for me.

In each case the sub was powered by about 600 watts at 4 ohms with a class a/b amp.

With the ten I could have it do 100hz+ no problem, and it was tight.

I am really disappointed with the IDQ12 in this configuration. If I cross it over much higher than 60hz it just doesn't add much. Luckily my 6.5's in the front doors have a pretty good kick, but . . .

The IDQ has more bass than I could ever need at super low frequencies - just no kick.

Is this a difference between a 12 and a 10 or is it my choice of speakers? I am ruling out placement to an extent because the 10 in its box in the middle of the room (in the house) hits and the 12 in its box doesn't.

If I add polyfill to the box that would make it worse right? Is my box too big?

I have heard so many rave reviews about the IDQ - is that only for 20-50hz?

I thought for sure it would be better than an Infinity 12.

I have not liked many of the JL speakers I have had. I killed a 10w3 and a 10w6 before putting in the infinity 10 which I prefered SQ wise - and it was less money.

I am considering getting the DIYMA 12, but i don't know if I want that much more weight in the back of my car and I heard it doesn't go very low?!?!?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BTW - the IDQ12 is a fairly old one. I don't know if there have been any changes over time. I bought it new around '99

Is this a difference between a 12 and a 10 or is it my choice of speakers?
High frequency extension is primarily dictated by inductance, not woofer diameter.

Beyond that, enclosure design can play a role aswell. A small sealed enclosure will have decreased low frequency extension, but it will have a nice little hump in the upper bass region.

I have heard so many rave reviews about the IDQ - is that only for 20-50hz?
Keep in mind subwoofers are designed to play *gasp* sub bass....not midbass as you are wanting. So yes, when someone evaluates a subwoofer it's typically limited to the frequencies it was designed to play...subbass.

Why do you need to play 100hz through your subwoofer ? This is what the midbass speakers are there for ?

If you need to play 100hz from your sub...you have problems in other areas of your system.

Anyways...if you are wanting high frequency extension out of a sub, look for a sub with low inductance (regardless of size).

I don't need it to play 100hz, but I would like it to be tigh. My previous 10 could add a good amount of kick and play cleanly above 100hz. What I am running into here is a speaker that sounds great at 40hz and is falling off by 60hz.

Obviously this is the wrong sub for me.

My midbass is fine - but the transition is not perfect. I am running 320wpc to the DLS 6.5 midbass crossed at 63hz and 400hz 18db slopes in fairly well sealed doors. They sound great. If I cross them lower they have better bass quality (though not quantity) than the sub.

I ordered a DIYMA12 - hopefully it will be better.

I'm curious if the other subs you've tried have all been in the same vehicle. The problem you having might not be completely related to the sub, but rather to your vehicle's acoustics.

Also, what size enclosure do you have it in?

Tried calling ID tech support and discussing your problem with them? They are usually extremely helpful.

geez id of just reversed mounted it in the sealed enclosure and tried that configuration before going out and buying a new sub, that would of gained you at least .25 cubes......but maybe thats just me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I got the DIYMA 12 installed. It's better SQ wise, but now I am lacking in the low end that the ID did so well. Still not satisfied. And it's heavy. I am running about double the power to the DIYMA which may be helping the SQ a bit.

It didn't occur to me to spin the sub around, besides if anything it sounded like I needed a smaller box.

My box is 1 CF with a bit of stuffing - probably too big for the DIYMA.

I left the infinity in my last truck. I would get another, but it seems there must be better options. I never thought very highly of infinity, yet have always had good luck with their gear - especially for the price.

It may very well be the acoustics of the car that are causing me problems. I put a couple of 7" Seas CA18RNX's in the rear doors running from 50hz up to 200hz to add some kick. That helps a lot. Actually between the 2 6.5's and 2 7's there is a respectable amount of bass without the sub.

ID's have been known to get the low bass. Thats one of the great sound quality features of their subs. Maybe ur not looking for sound quality as u are looking for more SPL. Cuse I bought my brother 2 IDQ's in a sealed 1 cft each with about 400-450 watts each and they sound great. Well worth the money I think.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.