How does a sub freeze up?

Supergumby5000
5,000+ posts

Project: F350 begins...
Pullman, WA
I just put my sub box into my truck, and noticed that one of the subs is frozen.... no movement in the cone at all.

Never seen power, only been touched to mount into the box.

I am guessing that this is due to the coil not being lined up or too tight? Could that be done in shipping.

Perdy confused right now.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Most of the time the coil will unwind due to the glue melting down. Then the coil binds up against the pole piece and motor. Also a shifted magnet if the gaps were tight to begin with can do this as in your case.

put 10k on it for burps, see if it moves

only reason i say that was cuz this happened to a friend of mine, it seized up and i wanted to see if 10k watts would get it back in-line... never tried it or seen it done so im curious

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.