How do you fiberglass?

Originally posted by TRANSAMCHARGER So you make a wood frame, put on streched fleece, lay fiberglass strips of matting on the frame, what is the resign for?
the resin dries and hardens stiffening the fiberglass and making it hard otherwise fiberglass is prettymuch useless except as insulation in your house and maybe a couple other uses

Originally posted by ryan_feine the resin dries and hardens stiffening the fiberglass and making it hard otherwise fiberglass is prettymuch useless except as insulation in your house and maybe a couple other uses

You can make some very warm, and Very itchy sweaters. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I just used fleece material as my mat and just dipped it in the resin. Im just using it for my compnenets and part of my amp rack. Should this material work ok since there isnt alot of pressure on it like you would have on a sub box?

Originally posted by ridered36 I just used fleece material as my mat and just dipped it in the resin. Im just using it for my compnenets and part of my amp rack. Should this material work ok since there isnt alot of pressure on it like you would have on a sub box?
it might be ok as long as theirs no pressure and not alot of wieght on it otherwise im not sure how strong it would be but as long as theirs not aot of pressure on it it should be fine

Originally posted by ridered36 I just used fleece material as my mat and just dipped it in the resin. Im just using it for my compnenets and part of my amp rack. Should this material work ok since there isnt alot of pressure on it like you would have on a sub box?
For comps in a kicker you should be fine.. Resin is liquid plastic.. the 'fiberglass' or 'fleece' does 1/2 the structural work, the resin the other (if I recall correctly).. You could actually probably make a mold (from foam or something) and keep dipping it in just resin until you had a stiff (say 1/4 thick?) structure, then find some way to remove the mold (if it's foam, pour some acetate in there?).. that would probably work for kickers.. Not recomended at all, just showing how resin works.. And, it takes a lot of resin to get that thick without filler (glass/fleece)..

Anyway, you should be fine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If it were me I would go ahead and add at least a layer or mat or cloth. The fleece soaked resin is still flexible to some degree. It may not seem that way. But if you were to try to bend it before you add a layer of mat or cloth, then afterwards you would see a big difference. Resin by itself is brittle. The strength fiberglass has comes from both components. One with out the other is weak. If you really don't want to use mat on teh kicks try this. Take some bondo and mix it with resin to a consistency of milkshake. Stir it real good. Then use either of the catylyst. Pour it on the inside of the kicks and move them around so it spreads evenly on the inside of the pod. It won't be as strong as glass. but it will be stronger than just the resin. It will also stiffen the fleece pretty well. You could do the same for the trim panels. But remember these techniques have no where near the strength of mat and cloth. But if all your doing is trim panels you might be able to get by with it.

Originally posted by ramos If it were me I would go ahead and add at least a layer or mat or cloth. The fleece soaked resin is still flexible to some degree. It may not seem that way. But if you were to try to bend it before you add a layer of mat or cloth, then afterwards you would see a big difference. Resin by itself is brittle. The strength fiberglass has comes from both components. One with out the other is weak. If you really don't want to use mat on teh kicks try this. Take some bondo and mix it with resin to a consistency of milkshake. Stir it real good. Then use either of the catylyst. Pour it on the inside of the kicks and move them around so it spreads evenly on the inside of the pod. It won't be as strong as glass. but it will be stronger than just the resin. It will also stiffen the fleece pretty well. You could do the same for the trim panels. But remember these techniques have no where near the strength of mat and cloth. But if all your doing is trim panels you might be able to get by with it.
i wouldn't exactly say that glass is weak without resin just isnt stiff I work with it in the summer and if you take rovings and try to pull them apart you never will the mat you can pull apart but thats becuase the strands are pretty short and not all going the same way

Let me phrase it a different way. Neither mat, cloth, nor resin by themselves come anywhere close to the strength of the mat, or cloth, or both soaked in resin. I have built enclosures for people and driven a car over them to prove the strength. Try doing that with some mat or cloth by itself and see what happens //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

how do i fiberglass?

longest answer ever!

the answer to this could go on FOREVER. there are so many large aspects as well as tiny details youd never think of.

some of the basic stuff though:

use fleece, its the thickest when streched. but only one layer will end up cracking easily. after the fleece dries, do up 4 to 8 layers of fiberglass mat or cloth, i prefer mat. when laying mat or cloth yourll notice that bubbles will form underneath the cloth, at first they are tough to get out but after you practice a little you can work them out by dabbing a brush on them. if you have trouble, buy a fiberglass roller from http://www.fiberglast.com.

the biggest tip i can give you is, if you dont want fiberglass on something, makesure you cover. even if you think you wont get any on it. let me tell you my horror story. over 100 hours of work making a 3 peice fiberglass setup. box, front trim, and rear trim. i was making it so each peice could be taken out of the car for sanding and painting etc as well as fixing stuff after it was all built. when i was doing some glassing on the front trim panel it was screwed in place to the box, well fiberglass got into the ends of the screws and i could not get the peice apart. i end up using a hatchet to get it out of the car because trying to get the screws out destroyed the box beyond repair. learned a good lesson though.

any more questions please ask. the best way to learn is to look at pictures ofstep by step installs. i good one is on the alpine website.

Originally posted by Grand AMature how do i fiberglass?

longest answer ever!

the answer to this could go on FOREVER. there are so many large aspects as well as tiny details youd never think of.

some of the basic stuff though:

use fleece, its the thickest when streched. but only one layer will end up cracking easily. after the fleece dries, do up 4 to 8 layers of fiberglass mat or cloth, i prefer mat. when laying mat or cloth yourll notice that bubbles will form underneath the cloth, at first they are tough to get out but after you practice a little you can work them out by dabbing a brush on them. if you have trouble, buy a fiberglass roller from http://www.fiberglast.com.

the biggest tip i can give you is, if you dont want fiberglass on something, makesure you cover. even if you think you wont get any on it. let me tell you my horror story. over 100 hours of work making a 3 peice fiberglass setup. box, front trim, and rear trim. i was making it so each peice could be taken out of the car for sanding and painting etc as well as fixing stuff after it was all built. when i was doing some glassing on the front trim panel it was screwed in place to the box, well fiberglass got into the ends of the screws and i could not get the peice apart. i end up using a hatchet to get it out of the car because trying to get the screws out destroyed the box beyond repair. learned a good lesson though.

any more questions please ask. the best way to learn is to look at pictures ofstep by step installs. i good one is on the alpine website.
that was helpful. Thanks a lot man!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.